My Passport Wireless red led blinking. WiFi problem?

Hello! I have had a My passport Wireless for 6 months and until today no problem. Now it works fine when attached by Usb, but if i try to turn on the wireless(and being detached by USB) after some time that the white led is blinking the two leds starts to blink red.

Anyone with the same issues? Suggestions? Is there a way maybe to do a firmware update or a factory reset without being on the WiFi?

Thanks

Yes; you will need to do manual reset. It’s documented in the manual in chapter 11.

The instructions for factory reset are all throughout threads in this MPW forum. Here they are again from one of my earlier posts here:

I suggest you return MPW to factory defaults. It will clear any passwords, and afterward your MPW will be like it was out of the box, and you need to set it up again, enter the password, etc, and be sure you remember the password. Follow these instructions carefully, and your MPW must be ON and fully booted before proceeding.

Important – the MPW must be ON when you do the restore or you will cause major problems that are hard to recover from. MPW can not be connected to a computer, and it needs to be fully charged.

System Restore (No UI):

*Do NOT have an SD card in the drive.

1. Power ON device. Wait till both lights are solid (Fully Booted)
    2.Hold both buttons in for 10 seconds (or until the device reboots)
    3.When it boots up it will be in a fresh state, with the exception of the drive. The drive is not touched with this restore.

Make SURE unit is ON before restoring to defaults.

Once restored you can set it up like it was brand new again. If you don’t have the full user manual to refer to, first download it from WD Support and refer it for set up procedures.

There are Sample Media files you can play from the MPW to your phone. No need to connect MPW to your computer until you have confirmed the My Cloud app works to access these media files.

Be sure you are away from other electronic devices while setting up – move far enough away with phone and MPW before doing restore and then set up. I also found using an iPad instead of an iPhone made setting up easier.

If you happen to do the restore incorrectly, and get red flashing LEDs, just turn it off with power button and write back here, I can help you fix it. Good luck

Hello! Thanks for the answer, but there is a problem, the hard disk does not get on without being attached by usb. If I turn it on without usb it just flash the red leds.

Plug it in using the included power supply instead of plugging it into your PC.

No that didnt work. same blinking light and now i cannot see the hard disk anymore when connected to the USB. When connected to the USB i get the white top led blinking.

The internal battery is likely discharged too much. Keep it plugged into the power supply and OFF the USB to computer for around 4 hours. Then, when not on the PC, try the restore/reset again per instructions.

Hello again! thanks for the help. Unfortunately the problem i have for the restore is at the step number one. I never have the lights at full solid. I get the red blinking lights before.

The restore instructions are written for a properly operating MPW where the LEDs do get solid, (because there are reasons to reboot a properly working unit, too.). But, they are blinking red instead. Nevertheless, once they do start blinking red, you have to move to step 2 and press the two buttons at same time as described. The unit will restart and it takes a few minutes for the resetting process to complete, but eventually it will and reboot itself, and when the rebooting stops, the LEDs will become normal again.

Hello again. So if I hold press the two buttons when the red lights are blinking do I get any special sign that is booting up? Because it seems not progressing after I keep the buttons down for even more than 10sec and the lights are still blinking red

You should see LED color-changing and other signs of life such as disk movement and eventual white light I think when the restore is taking place. Holding both buttons in at same time for 8-10 seconds should be sufficient. Anything over 15 seconds would be “excessive” and not help the situation.

If you can’t get things working right, after attempting restore correctly. it is likely time to contact WD Support.

Yeah it doesnt seems to work at all. Small update, i can see the harddrive on windows but not on Mac. Is there not a way to restore that via cable or maybe via sd card? it seems very weird i cannot do anything. Is there any tutorial videos so i see if i do something different? Even if i think i am doing everything correct. I contacted the support as well last week, but still no answer.

Contact WD Support by PHONE, not email. Talk to a Level 1 person, but they likely can’t help you. so ask to be transferred to a level 2 support person.

Did you get your drive working and if so can you tell me how you did it. I am having the same problem. Thank you

Hello! No, tried all the “tricks” but nothing works. I have contacted WD and since it is under warranty I will send it back to WD, but first i need to back it up, but I am currently having space problems, so I will need to buy another hard disk for my stationary first. The bad part is that WD will not cover the shipping to them, and I think that is not good. Hopefully the tricks will work for you.

Marco, here is a tip. The MPW should not be the primary drive for storing your files, it should be a secondary (back up) of your files. Since it is portable, what if you lost it, or left it somewhere, or someone stole it at the coffee shop? You would be SOL. My own MPW is full of COPIES of my media files, and not the sole place for them to be stored.

Hahaha yes I know,

Haha yes I know. Unfortunately I have been using that to store mostly photos since I am travelling for work a lot. Taking only raw the size is quite big. I couldn’t save them on my work laptop.

Marco, Terry,

What was the solution for the double red lights? Must it go back to WD for replacement? Curious if there is a correlation to using this drive between Mac and PC… I had no troubles until I connected it to a Mac to transfer files for a friend. Now this.

If just ONE led is blinking, the unit’s battery is likely discharged, so charge it.
If TWO are blinking, follow the instructions below.

One usual solution is all over this forum in various threads, and that is to restore the MPW to factory defaults and set it up again. The following is from a long ago post of mine:

Do you know that resetting to defaults improperly can cause damage to your MPW (setting off two alternately flashing red LEDs) and hose your MPW so that you or no one else can use it unless one knows how to recover from the disaster? I have written about this a few places on the forum. Search and you will find my comments. Meanwhile, just so YOU know the proper way to restore/reset, here are the steps (from WD):

Important – the MPW must be ON when you do the restore or you will cause major problems that are hard to recover from. MPW can not be connected to a computer, and it needs to be fully charged.

System Restore (No UI):

*Do NOT have an SD card in the drive.
1.Power ON device. Wait till both lights are solid (Fully Booted)
2.Hold both buttons in for 10 seconds (or until the device reboots)
3.When it boots up it will be in a fresh state, with the exception of the drive. The drive is not touched with this restore.

Make SURE unit is ON before restoring to defaults.

Once restored you can set it up like it was brand new again. If you don’t have the full user manual to refer to, first download it fron WD Support and refer it for set up procedures.