Forgot Wifi password My passport wireless

My son installed the MY passport wireless and added a password to the wifi and renamed the Router name. He forgot the password and now I cannot connect to the device anymore. Via the cable I can access my document, but I am not able to change the Wifi password. Does someone has an idea on how to change the password?

You need to reset to factory defaults and set up the MPW all over again from scratch. This has been explained numerous times in this forum in messages here. Here is the latest one I posted a few weeks ago. Read and follow carefully.

Here is my earlier post about how to restore MPW:

I suggest you return MPW to factory defaults. It will clear any passwords, and afterward your MPW will be like it was out of the box, and you need to set it up again, enter the password, etc, and be sure you remember the password. Follow these instructions carefully, and your MPW must be ON and fully booted before proceeding.

Important – the MPW must be ON when you do the restore or you will cause major problems that are hard to recover from. MPW can not be connected to a computer, and it needs to be fully charged.

System Restore (No UI):

*Do NOT have an SD card in the drive.

1. Power ON device. Wait till both lights are solid (Fully Booted)
    2.Hold both buttons in for 10 seconds (or until the device reboots)
    3.When it boots up it will be in a fresh state, with the exception of the drive. The drive is not touched with this restore.

Make SURE unit is ON before restoring to defaults.

Once restored you can set it up like it was brand new again. If you don’t have the full user manual to refer to, first download it from WD Support and refer it for set up procedures.

There are Sample Media files you can play from the MPW to your phone. No need to connect MPW to your computer until you have confirmed the My Cloud app works to access these media files.

Be sure you are away from other electronic devices while setting up – move far enough away with phone and MPW before doing restore and then set up. I also found using an iPad instead of an iPhone made setting up easier.

If you happen to do the restore incorrectly, and get red flashing LEDs, just turn it off with power button and write back here, I can help you fix it. Good luck

Thanks for the quick reply and clear explanation! It was very easy to restore the wifi password after reading your reply.

Much appreciated!

“Mike27oct”…will following these steps ERASE the contents?!? Also…if and when I choose to reset it…would you happen to have the link to the latest firmware (Model: E2B)?!? Any assistance on both counts would be greatly appreciated…

When you reset your drive…did it erase the content?!?

DISREGARD…reading IS fundamental. Acquired the manual and was able to determine how to reset the wifi password without losing my content (pg47-48)…have a blessed day!!

Reading the manual is definitely fundamental. Glad you did not erase data! As for latest firmware, it in the section of support where you found the manual. You definitely need the latest one, because it keeps battery from getting damaged.

Thanks for your post which I have read. I followed the instructions with the User Manual to hand but I must have done something wrong because I got the two flashing red lights. Sorry to bother you but can you help please ? Philip

I have managed to get it fixed. Largely thanks to your post and another post which you kindly uploaded. Partly by luck aswell

I appreciate your input

Best Regards
Philip

Glad to know you got it fixed.

I find myself in the unfortunate position of having a My Passport Wireless device which is now fast blinking two red lights. You mentioned you might be able to help someone if they find themselves in this position? Help!

You likely can fix the problem by following the instructions above to reset/restore to factory System Only defaults. Let me know if this fixes your problem.

I’ve followed those instructions and tried them three or four times. I’ve also followed some instructions you offered in another thread sharing the device battery could be low, put it on the charger for at least four hours then try again. After all this I still have the two fast-blinking red lights.

The above is all with the drive operating from charger power, not connected to a computer.

Interesting thing, I think, is that when the drive is connected to my computer (Mac) it mounts on the desktop and appears to function just fine. It’s just when I disconnect from the computer in hopes of utilizing the mobile/wireless/backup benefits of the drive that the drive fails. It shuts down if disconnected to any power source and ends up with the blinking red lights when powered other than from a computer USB.

What I most want to do is to change or disable the password protection on this drive. This is what I originally set out to do (because I’d forgotten the password), followed the instructions to reset the device and wound up here. I also cannot get the drive to allow me access to the dashboard while connected to the computer. Basically, it just behaves like any other USB connected external drive. No other features/functions seem to work.

OK, the easy fix did not work, and the user manual describes what all the LEDs mean when blinking. Another thing the two blinking lights mean is a major problem, and manual says to contact WD Support and I suggest you do that.