MyCloud showing 0kb available, data and files cannot be accessed

I don’t access my 3TB MyCloud NAS very often. Sometime after about Nov 24 something got corrupted. I mention the date because I think WD put out a firmware update and I’m not sure if my drive got the update, before this event occured.

The drive has worked without fault since purchased, about 11 months ago.

Shortly after the drive was last used, there was a power outage in the room where my network equipment is stored. That may be the source of the problem.

The dashboard now reads 0kb space available. But the drive’s light is blue and a the detailed diagnostic self test came back with no problems. The drive is spinning and no weird noises, etc. to indicate a hardware problem.

Nonetheless, none of the shares are accessible. It’s as if the drive’s configuration an file allocation table (if there is such a thing, with this drive) has been corrupted.

The last back up was too long ago for me to want to do a full reset, which I understand will delete all the contents of the drive.

Is there any way for me to recover the contents of this drive or should I resort to shipping it off to a data recovery service?

Thanks for suggestions. I’ve had a trouble ticket in with WD since the beginning of the weekend with no reply yet.

I would try a system only restore, it does not delete data or shares but everything else is reset like a new drive

do you have SSH enabled? any comfort with Linux?

larryg0 wrote:

I would try a system only restore, it does not delete data or shares but everything else is reset like a new drive

Thank you for your suggestion. I have not tried a system only restore but will do so, once I return home tonight.

I do not have SSH enabled.

I don’t have much experience with Linux. 

I’ll give the system only restore a try and then report back here as to the outcome.

larryg0 wrote:

Thank you.

The system only restore did the trick. I had no problem getting my users set up again and everything seems fine with the drive.