this is the first post in this community, i recently bought a my book live 3TB for back up and cloud access. im using a mac mini and macbook ret. with mountain Lion OS. my concern is that the first time i loaded files in my MBL itunes server, twonky server and Time Maching back up works flawlessly. however after a few days ive experienced issues that my time machine back up cant locate my MBL same as with itunes and my TV. this issue always happen when i checked my shared tab located in the lower left side of “Finder” app where i only see “mybooklive” while “mybooklive-backup” is missing. my question is, do i have a faulty machine or this is a software bug that cant be fixed. i hope anyone can help me with this problem since i fully restore my drive for 3 times with transferred media of 400GB. a lot of time was wasted
It’s not probable you’re box died so fast, I would recommend the following quick troubleshooting tips:
- Did you try restarting the MBL?
- What color is the status LED on the MBL?
- Are you sure all the cables are securely connected?
- Did you try restarting your router?
prior to that i fully restore the drive since the mbl’s itunes server and time machine back up aren’t working. i also reflash the firmware by updating it using a downloaded file. then i created a new user on “create a user” then that’s it i can’t access the UI
i can still access the hard drive on share folder and also i can transfer files.
thanks for replying aicitman
OK I have a MPB and Mountain Lion and the 2TB drive. So maybe I can help.
- When setting up time machine, make sure you login in as admin and NOT guest, then enter the password for your drive.
- When connecting to your drive share in finder make sure you connect as admin NOT guest, then enter your password for your drive
- Your shares will disconnect if you don’t have them connecting at login when your MPB / Mac Mini Sleeps
To solve the disconnect issue, make a automator script with the following:
- Choose get specified servers
- Right click your share, choose get info then copy the server information
- Paste this in the automator box for specified servers.
- Go to settings > users and groups > login items > add the automator script you just made.
Your share will now automount on login silently. Time Machine should work seamlessly.
i already received a replacement unit with firmware 02.10.12-129 then upgraded manually apnc-021109-053-20120413 since it is required for auto update. after updating it prompt to upgrade firmware to apnc-024203-027-20130529. i upgraded it as recommended. after how many minutes it prompt update unsuccessful but when i refresh the ui site notification upgraded successful. until now with the new unit, time machine and media server is unstable/not accessible
OK great you got a new Mybook, but have you tried what I said? If that still does not work, you must have a corrupt OSX install. Therefore I suggest a clean install and restore all your documents from Time machine. I would suggest setting up Time Machine on an external drive, from which you can then restore from as you are having issues with the MBL.