MyBook Live Permanent Red Light - wont start up

Hello

Been using my mybook live with no problems for about 2 months. Suddenly it started not being detected on my network today; i restarted the machine and it was fine, but when it happened again the machine wouldnt restart.

There is now just a permanent a red light on the front; I have tried resetting the machine but nothing happens; I have changed leads; restarted my router; everything. The ethernet connection is completely fine and green. I have even cooled the machine down by the window just in case it was warm. I don't know what to do now.

i had just reached the point where all my itunes music and all my videos are on the mybook, my 2 week old sonos works perfectly connecting to itunes via the mybook, and now this....any help much appreciated.

1 Like

Lets try to determine where the issue started.

Did you suffer any power outages?

Did you try it with a different ethernet cable?

Did you try to plug it straight to your computer bypassing the router?

If you have WIndows 7 or Vista, does it show under network?

1 Like

Thanks for replying.

No power outage.

I did try different ethernet cable; no difference.

I did not try to plug straight into my pc. (will try later tonight)

I have WIN 7; it no longer shows under network (as it doesnt turn on); the path still appears but with a red ‘x’ 

I dont think the problem is seeing the box; it is turning it on that is the problem. It doesnt get past the red light, which appears about 2 seconds after connecting the power.

What happens is, I connect the power, the blue light appears for 2 seconds and then the red light. It is like it wants to power up but cant.

1 Like

Hello,

I’ve got the same problem here. But mine was a brand new WD My Book live 2tb. Through my NMT i selected a movie i just put on the Mybook, and it crashed. After that the device started showing the red light and became totally unusable! Again, i’m talking about a new MyBook live. Even worse… I have bought two of those My books and the Twonky server onthe other My Book crashed after only changing the navigation tree. The only way i was able to recover this one, was to totally reset to factory setting, including deleting all the data.

This is outragious. It can not be coincidence that i’m buying two My Books, and one is unrecoverably crashed and the other is that unstable and unreliable that i can’t even trust it keeping my data safe.

I hope the support from WD will solve this matter accordingly.

Greetings, Casper

motokocie wrote:

Hello,

I’ve got the same problem here. But mine was a brand new WD My Book live 2tb. Through my NMT i selected a movie i just put on the Mybook, and it crashed. After that the device started showing the red light and became totally unusable! Again, i’m talking about a new MyBook live. Even worse… I have bought two of those My books and the Twonky server onthe other My Book crashed after only changing the navigation tree. The only way i was able to recover this one, was to totally reset to factory setting, including deleting all the data.

This is outragious. It can not be coincidence that i’m buying two My Books, and one is unrecoverably crashed and the other is that unstable and unreliable that i can’t even trust it keeping my data safe.

I hope the support from WD will solve this matter accordingly.

Greetings, Casper

Have you contacted WD support. This is only a user to user forum.

hi,

happened to me as well (was playing with my wd live and  updating the packages) and what helped was to reinstall udev

(see this thread).

-jan-

I have a solid red light after a power outage. Is my drive lost?

Jan, u didn’t buy it on iBood.nl by any chance?

I have the same problem, WD starts with a blue LED then switch to red after 4 seconds or so… doesnt show on the clients list on my router, tried to use a diferent cable, tried to connect directly on my PC’s, tried to reset it and nothing…

Same thing here. Got home today and noticed the red light. Been trying ever since to get it up and running again. One time I got back to green, yet the UI was unavailable. I shut it down, as mentioned in the user manual, and since then I only got the red light. 

I did get it from iBood, my first ever purchase there. Bad idea?

Same problem here… But with a little difference. I don’t get any color on MBL front led :frowning: