MyBook Live 2TB Stuck on Blue Light

I ordered my MyBook Live from Amazon on March 1, 2011 and received it a few days later.  It’s been working great, and I find it to be very fast.  I’m only using it as a media server with my WD TV Live Plus and 2Player from my Android 2.2 phone.  Today when I tried to access it, however, it was nowhere to be found on the network.  I’m a network/security pro, so I ran both Network Scanner and Wireshark, and neither IP nor MAC address of my MBL was visible.  My router’s DHCP server is configured to hand out a pre-assigned IP for each device, and I verified all is well with the router.

The MBL is stuck at the blue light, and neither removing power for a half hour (or more) or resetting has any effect.  When I reapply power, I can feel the drive inside doing its thing.  According to the user guide, a solid blue light first appears when the MBL is powered on, and it also means the HDD is in sleep mode. Once in a great while the otherwise solid blue light will flash white once and then return to solid blue.

The network interface seems to be working, and I’ve tried several CAT5e and CAT6 known-good cables.  I even tried connecting the MBL to my computer directly via ethernet.  Once again, no joy.  It’s like the MBL is bricked.  I see my daily backup ran successfully at 6:25am this morning, so the MBL croaked somewhere between then and now.

After searching the support knowledge base and finding nothing on this subject, I called tech support.  They’re doing an advance RMA for me.

In all my years of using Western Digital drives, I’ve only had to RMA two that I remember, and that’s a terrific track record.

Anyway, I thought I’d post re this issue and see if others had experienced it.  I’ll post back when I have any further info.  I’d just like to know what happened to my beloved MBL!

Interesting, the MBL ishould give a red light when something’s wrong… If it was stuck on blue then I’d agree on that it was not waking up.

I received my replacement MBL2TB on Friday and successfully swapped the units.  At first my TV Live Plus HD had a little trouble seeing the device, but all’s functioning as it should now.

After I manually updated the firmware on the first MBL2TB, I did set it to automatically update the firmware.  I would not normally do this, preferring to do the updates manually, but …  Anyway, I never got an alert from the device that the firmware updated or the machine restarted.  The unit is plugged into my UPS along with my other network equipment, but I wonder if the auto firmware update bricked it?

At any rate, I have set the replacement unit for manual firmware updates, fingers crossed that it keeps working properly!  :smiley:

I have exactly the same problem. Any solution?

Unfortunately for me, the solution was for WD to replace the unit, which so far, works flawlessly.  I manually upgraded the firmware to the latest version, and all is well.  Fortunately it was only three months into its warranty, so all it cost me was one-way shipping.

I’d contact tech support and have them replace the device.

Done the same here. All of a sudden I don’t trust the automatic update.

Once I plug it in and connect, goes to red light???

I have the same issue, any solutions or has to do RMA?

Did you go into the My Book Live dashboard and enable Remote Access? Is it showing connected (Relay or Direct)? if it is enabled, try enabling/disabling it again, then try to access it.

same here, my MBL is stuck on Blue Light. Any other solution aside from replacement?

I’m from Philippines and bought my MBL from Amazon when my friend stayed in the US, and have him brought it here. A Replacement would not be an option right now.

I hope there is a fix for this issue.

suddenly the drive does not mount or change to the green light
froze in solid light blue and yellow
intermitenteintente restore the clip but nothing happened

I must do to return to normal
what is happening with the unit
perhaps lost data!

please help me!

Out of curisoity, do you frequently turn off the power to your MyBook Live NAS?  Do you shut-down the NAS first or do you just simply pull the plug to turn it off or do you leave it on all the time?

noticias wrote:

suddenly the drive does not mount or change to the green light
froze in solid light blue and yellow
intermitenteintente restore the clip but nothing happened

I must do to return to normal
what is happening with the unit
perhaps lost data!

please help me!

My 2Tb mybook live just starting doing this this morning, i have this for over a year and I am afraid it might not be covered under warranty. I am really just wondering if there is any way to recover any data from this drive? 

The Data is worth a million times more than buying a new drive.

It is possible, but it means opening up the case, taking out the drive, separating it from the MyBook Live controller, attaching the drive to a computer and if Windows using a file system driver that understands how to access Linux’s EXT4 file system formatted to use 64K clusters.

There is information how to do this in places on this MyBook Live community.

I have had this unit installed at a customer site for sometime now.

They come out of a meeting and its stuck in blue light mode and the network card flashes on and off.

No access to it directly or through network.

Cannot see it using software or WD Link.

Will WD restore data from this drive to a new drive?  Someone in the clients office changed a PC so there is no backup of data.  (Why have an IT guy if your not gonna use him for everything?)

I am trying to save my clients data so I can put my superhero cape back on…  Thank you!

Have you poked the reset button (remember that blanks the owner’s password) or pulled the power-plug, counted to 10 and then plugged it back in again?

I’m assuming you put in some sort of data backup stratagy to safefuard your customers data?

Yes I have data elsewhere.

I am returning the drive to Best Buy, it is a **bleep**.

Iomega will get my business.  Everything I have read tells me that WD should not even put their name on this equipment.  WD used to mean QUALITY… not anymore in my book.

Sorry, lost a customer here…

I have exactly the same problem - solid blue light and the unit has disappeared.

Please advise - what is an RMA?

Thanks Brian

bmart wrote:

I have exactly the same problem - solid blue light and the unit has disappeared.

Please advise - what is an RMA?

Thanks Brian

RMA is a replacement process from WD

Go to their website to start the request