MyBook Live And Windows 8

Hrm… I don’t have an issue with mine.  I do have a yellow caution sign on it with the device cannot start message but it is working fine and I have been able to transfer files back and forth ok.  I did create a separate user on the drive (so I can have a private spot) so that may be what the guy was referring to when he said “change his username”.  I’m leaving admin alone.

Well, when you have a yellow caution sign it means you do have an issue. Even though the drives appear to be working correctly, if Windows thinks they can’t start, there is a problem. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous that over 4 months after Windows 8 was released, WD still hasn’t fixed the problem. They’re lucky they make such great drives because their customer service **bleep**.

There was a firmware update yesterday that is said to address problems with win 8.

Do you have a link for this update? The utility says there are no updates and I can not locate it on tthe WD site. Any assistance is appreciated. 

Legend33 You can find more info here http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=902&sid=132&lang=en and here http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735 hope it helps

Hello, I tried the firmware update 02.41.05-034 and I have enabled WD’s DLNA Media Server, but the WD app from the Windiows Store still doesn’t work with my My Book Live. Do tou have any suggestion. I also can’t see any improvement in playing MKV file on my Samsung HDTV. Thaks.

Hello All,

WD Finally relesed  firmware v02.41.05-034 and WD SmartWare 1.6.5 for the My Book Live. For people out there who are still getting This device cannot start code 10 with or without the caution icon in the device manager in Windows 8 x64, install the WD SmartWare Updater 1.6.5 - reboot the PC. Open the device manager - My Book Live - Driver tab - Update Driver -My Book Live - Let Me Pick…- under Update Driver software - My Book Live, select the Generic Software Device and click next this should install the device and fix the Win 8 hangup and put the MBL drive under Software Devices in the Device Manager.

My driver: 1.1.2.1 Date 2011
Tried as suggested using generic software driver it become dated 2006.
Run windows update found new driver but failed/error to install and it roll back to 1.1.2.1 Date 2011.

Any latest/ newer version above 1.1.2.1?
Firmware is latest.

Thanks is advance

Hello Astrix,

The Generic Software driver (2006) is just a Microsoft driver date and should not efect the MBL drive in any way. There are lots of drivers in windows stamped 2006. As for your firmware 1.1.2.1 2011, the newest firmware can be found at this post or you can update through the SmartWare Dashboard. Unless your having another problem.

UPDATE,

I too just tried the Windows Update fix and get a Fail warning with error code: 8024CE0A and had to roll back the MBL driver. I’m not sure what its installing I’ll have to investigate this further I guess.

Hi Scorpion47,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I’m running firmware 02.41.05 – 034

Didn’t have any issue except yellow triangle with exclaimation mark in Device Manager (when running 1.1.2.1 driver).

As the driver was 1.1.2.1 dated 2011, seem it obsolete. I believe if there is newest driver(s) running on Win8, transfering of data on local will be much faster and stable?

My current local transfer rate is 16mbps  on upload/download from PC to MBL and vice versa.

I’m connected on Asus RT-AC66U Router with ASUS PCE-AC66 wireless card. 

Same speed as I used to get before in combination of Asus RT-AC66U Router with ASUS EA-N66.

Tried to configure and testing on my router and PCE-Card, still the same speed.

Looking forward of your investigation on failed error code. Hope we could update to the latest Generic Driver(s).

As 802.11ac could achieve 49mbps :stuck_out_tongue:  (screenshot image here) from one of the review here.

Just trying to achieve that speed.

Astrix

New firmware released.

I thought this would mean the MyBookLive would now be properly identified in Device Manager on Windows 8.

I installed the new software and switched to the WD DLNA server and rebooted both the MBL and my computer, but Device Manager still shows a yellow ! next to MyBookLive (This device cannot start. (Code 10)).

The WD app works, but still identifies the MBL as “MyBookLive-Twonky” even though I’ve switched to the WD software.

Media Server Version: 2.3.0.12093

Firmware Version:MyBookLive 02.41.05-034 : Core F/W

Windows 8 Enterprise

Yesterday everything started working out of a clear blue sky and I was able to map drives using WDlink. I was able to access the mapped drives without any issues. I rebooted the machine today and now nothing is working. This is getting very annoying. My only access to my drive is using a Windos 7 partition on virtual box. 

Same problem for me.

I have a desktop and laptop both running windows 8 64bit.  At the weekend I updated the firmware and media server on my 1 month old 2TB mybooklive to the latest versions.  The desktop can still access the mybooklive; the laptop can’t.

From the laptop I can access the mybooklive via firefox and entering //mybooklive/.  The WD setup applications identify the drive.  However when I try to map drives on it I am unable to see any folders on the drive.  In windows explorer I can see the drive under the network section but cannot access it, I get a network error message.

The drive is working without issue with the desktop.

Anybody had similar issues and found a solution? 

Iain

I’ve exactly same problem(shows yellow triangle in device manager ), with Win 8 x64 pro edition. I’ve updated all of my firmwares including one app from Windows Store.

Still it’s not helping and shows yellow triangle in device manager. 

@ Dutch, I didn’t get your idea of changing user name ?. you mean i need to create same username of windows 8 and WD live account ?

IainUK,

I am having exactly the same problem. Since the firmware update all devices aside from my windows 8 laptop can see and use the MBL but I need to be able to access from my laptop. Has anyone found a solution to this as yet or had any replies from WD? Very frustrating.

Mike 

No, it’s still not working properly. My windows 8 desktop works perfectly not a problem.

The windows 8 laptop can see the mybooklive without issue and it’s icon appears in windows explorer. If I click on the drive directly under the network section in windows explorer I get an error message and can’t access the drive. But, if I first click on the drive icon under either libraries or computer (sorry I forget which) where the DNLA media server shows up I can see music / photos on the drive.

If I then click on the drive icon under the network section in windows explorer I get asked for an ID/password and can then access the drive. The desktop has never asked for an account ID or password; the laptop insists on one each time and won’t remember it either. My MacBook is refusing to acknowledge the drive exists anymore.

The reply I got from wd technical support was chocolate tea pot helpful.

Frustrating is an understatement!
Iain

Well this is not ideal but I rolled back to a previous firmware using the instructions  here and all is working as it should do. It took a couple of hours but at least I can now access everything. Follow the instructions fully for recreating shares though. Next time I shall be waiting and scanning these forums before I do any kind of firmware upgrade. Hope this helps.

Mike

Really really really need to stop offering Firmware updates as an answer. There’s nothing wrong with the unit and firmware updates are a ruse. It is a bad or outdated 64bit driver that’s the issue here. A new driver will fix all and eventually we’ll get it. If you’re running a 32 bit OS and having problems, this thread does not pertain to you.

Changing “max protocol = SMB2” to “max protocol = NT1” in /etc/samba/smb-global.conf seems to have worked here.