MyBook Live And Windows 8

I am still unable to connect to my Drives using Windows 8 64bit. I have been in contact with WD but the support has been less than responsive or helpful. Has anyone resolved this issues on a Windows 8 box?

I am also using win8 64bit. And I wonder, did anyone from WD actually notice this problem ??

I don’t think this is difficult for them to fix, but why no response at all ?

Deutch,

I recently encountered the exact same problem, exact same symptoms… My system HP Envy 700, Windows 8 Pro - WD MyBook Live 1TB.

However I had multiple users setup with the MyBook Live drive and your solution did not work until I deleted all other users. So I suspect that there is a bug with Windows 8 Pro security or the MyBook Live drive UI software that prevents a user without the appropriate credentials to map the drive.

My thoughts are that your work around will temporarily fix the problem and I am very happy that you have figured this out and posted the information here at this community board. However as you already know running digital equipment in Admin mode or using the Admin account is not advisable for security reasons. Until WD fixes this bug we will have to use your work around. Hopefully WD will address this issue VERY QUICKLY.

I called WD Tech Support for some insight… So when the WD Tech Support Agent told me to do a drive reset  - I asked him are you sure this will solve the above problem? He said yes, do not worry.

Users be very aware that you could loose communication to the drive once this is performed. It happened to my drive because; in short, the DHCP Server was now assigning the IP address (I had mine set to static IP) and we did not know what the IP address was after the reset nor could  the Tech find out. He told me then that I needed to go to “level two support” and then accidentally (I think) hung up on me.

Anyway I got the drive working again a half an hour after the call by finding the IP address. I then gained access to the WD drive UI and changed the settings back to “static IP” as it was before the factory reset. I have static IP addresses assigned for all my digital equipment for security reasons on my “edgeless network”.

I have started a new support case with WD and am currently awaiting their response and I will surely pass your information on to them if you have not already done so.

Thanks again for the work around and I will keep all posted as to what I learned from Tech Support.

moosenet

My Windows 8 laptop would not connect to a private share on MyBookLive (3TB). It had no problems with public shares.

My Windows 7 laptop connects fine to private and public shares.

I am using the default Twonky DLNA.

Today I was notified of a new firmware release (version 02.43.03-022) that claimed to fix some Windows 8 problems. So I installed it.

Windows 7 laptop still worked fine, but it seemed to make no difference to the Windows 8 laptop.

I tried Deutch’s trick of changing user name. I changed passwords. I rebooted the Windows 8 laptop several times. Nothing made any difference.

Then suddenly the Windows 8 laptop was showing 2 MyBookLive devices on the network. So I rebooted again.

Now it works!

I rebooted again and it still works!

I have no idea what has changed, or how long this will last, but it is obviously a very flaky problem.

Try the firmware upgrade - it may work for you.

I have this same problem with Windows 8.1 32bit so it’s not just a 64bit problem.

Hi All

I don’t know if this has been resolved yet but I can’t find another similar thread with a definitive answer. My tail of woe is similar but possibly not identical.

I purchased a brand new HP Pavillion Windows 8 Home laptop and a 3TB MBL just after Christmas.

Windows 8 is painful to start with but the MBL setup seemed to go well initially.

It is cabled directly to my NetGear router and the laptop connects wirelessly to the network.

I followed the install process as detailed by WD and could see the new MBL in Windows 8.

I created 2 new private shares to on the MBL and then mapped Z: to the public share, and Y and X to the newly created private shares. The only user on the MBL was the admin user who I granted access to the 2 private shares. 

I then changed the admin password to something of my choice, well to match the account password on the new laptop.

I rebooted both MBL and laptop and everything looked good.

I started to move all my files from the USB connected WD external drive to appropriate places. Pics, music etc to the factory created public share (Z:), documents to one of the newly created private shares (X:) and setup File History in Windows 8 to the 3rd share (Y:).

I started the file history run first and allowed it to finish and then started the other copy activities.

About 3/4 of the way through the file copy Windows threw up errors about the network drive not being accessible the whole process stopped and the MBL become unresponsive. The activity LED was flashing and I could ping the device from command prompt but I could not access it through the dashboard or directly from any web browser via its name or IP address.

After leaving the device for an hour and not being able to get back onto it I pulled the power cord and rebooted it.

Could not access it, could not re-establish the mapped drives but could ping it.

Factory reset using the physical pin hole gave me access again so I repeated the whole process with exactly the same results.

Returned the drive as potentially faulty and tried again with a new one… to no avail.

Now on my 3rd device and had exactly the same issues. So started again and this time copied my files one folder at a time, removing all but actual data files prior to the copy command,  to see if there was something in there that the drive really didn’t like. This time I got through the entire copy process and everything seemed OK.

After an hour of inactivity the I went to access a file from MBL only to find that the mapped drives were no longer accessible in Windows 8. (They all had a red cross through them).

I rebooted both Laptop and MBL and the mapped drives returned. Packed everything up for the night (Put the laptop in hibernation) and the following morning when I opened the laptop up… NO NETWORK DRIVES!!!

This happened 4 times during the day and each time I had to reboot both devices. Now however I have no network drives again and reboots have failed to solve the problem.

What is going on?? Is there anyone out there who can help? PLEASE.