My Passport Wireless Pro - empty after formatting

My Passport Wireless Pro was having multiple bad sectors problem (unusable), so I formatted it and it now has no data at all. It is under warranty, but I was wondering, is there a process to recover all the files/folders that are in a new drive? If that were available I would try that, instead of just getting a new one.

Also, I went through the RMA process, and it turn out WD charges $5+ to get the UPS label to return the old one. That seemed strange. Am I overlooking something?

Thanks for the help.

Formatting any drive deletes all existing data as it replaces the existing file system with a new one. Assuming that you didn’t preform a long/extended/through format, you maybe able to recover some of your files by using Recuva, a free file recovery program. Make sure you enable the deep scan option.

Did you use the format option within the Wireless Pro GUI or did you connect the drive to your computer, right click and select “format”. The former could have saved your data, the latter…not so much :wink:

That though is exactly why I bought a 16TB WD external drive and dumped everything from my Passport on it and stuck it in my safe for safe keeping. Backups can be golden.