My Passport Windows Upgrade

I recently bought a My Passport SSD WDBAGF0010BGY portable external drive. The My Passport SSD User Manual says the WD Backup software is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. I need to backup everything on my Windows 10 Home laptop and transfer the data onto my new Windows 11 Home laptop. Is it possible to upgrade my new “My Passport SSD” to be compatible with Windows 11 Home, and how do I do it?

Yes, it is possible to use your My Passport SSD with Windows 11. However, since the My Passport SSD User Manual mentions compatibility with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10, it’s best to ensure that the WD Backup software is also compatible with Windows 11. You can visit the official Western Digital website or contact their support to confirm the software’s compatibility.

If the WD Backup software is not compatible with Windows 11, you can still use your My Passport SSD as a regular external storage device. You can manually copy and paste your files from your Windows 10 laptop to the My Passport SSD, and then transfer them to your Windows 11 laptop.

To manually back up your data from your Windows 10 laptop to the My Passport SSD, follow these steps:

1. Connect the My Passport SSD to your Windows 10 laptop using the provided USB cable.
  2. Once connected, your laptop should detect the drive and assign it a drive letter (e.g., E:, F:, etc.).
  3. Open File Explorer on your Windows 10 laptop.
  4. Navigate to the files and folders you want to back up.
  5. Select the files and folders, right-click, and choose “Copy” or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+C.
  6. Go to the My Passport SSD drive in File Explorer (the drive letter assigned to it in step 2).
  7. Right-click inside the My Passport SSD drive and choose “Paste” or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V.
  8. The selected files and folders will begin to copy to the My Passport SSD.

After completing the backup process, you can safely disconnect the My Passport SSD from your Windows 10 laptop and connect it to your Windows 11 laptop. On your Windows 11 laptop, follow these steps to transfer the data from the My Passport SSD:

1. Connect the My Passport SSD to your Windows 11 laptop using the provided USB cable.
  2. Once connected, your laptop should detect the drive and assign it a drive letter.
  3. Open File Explorer on your Windows 11 laptop.
  4. Navigate to the My Passport SSD drive (the drive letter assigned to it).
  5. Select the files and folders you want to transfer.
  6. Right-click, choose “Copy” or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+C.
  7. Navigate to the desired location on your Windows 11 laptop where you want to transfer the files.
  8. Right-click inside the destination folder and choose “Paste” or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+V.
  9. The selected files and folders will begin to copy from the My Passport SSD to your Windows 11 laptop.

By following these steps, you can successfully back up your data from your Windows 10 laptop and transfer it to your new Windows 11 laptop using your My Passport SSD.