My Passport Ultra with fatal device hardware error works on other computers

I have a My Passport Ultra 3 TB external drive connected to a computer running Windows 10. When I woke my computer from sleep yesterday, the drive was no longer accessible, and all access requests failed due to a fatal device hardware error. The drive had been working normally only a few hours earlier. The computer was not updated and the drive was not removed during that time. Changing the USB port had no effect. When I connected a different external drive to the computer, I was able to access it normally.

In Disk Management, the drive is present. But sometimes it is not initialized, and other times it is in the RAW format and empty. Clicking on the properties shows a drive size of 0 bytes.

In Device Manager, the drive is present under Disk Drives, and does not show any error. However, under Other Devices, a “WD SES Device USB Device” is listed with an error. When I try to get the computer to scan for a driver update, it says it could not find drivers for the device. When I click the properties for the device, I see the message “The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device.”

When I attempt to run a status check in WD Drive Utilities, it says “SMART status failed.” When I attempt to run a Quick Drive Test, the test stops at 90%.

I connected the affected drive to a different computer, and was able to access the drive normally. All my files were present, and the drive was in the NTFS format.

When “the request failed due to fatal device hardware error” occurs, your device turns inaccessible. This error usually occurs while attempting to transfer/copy files and suddenly the Windows OS fails to recognize the input or the output devices. In addition, this error could also be due to a fault in the systems hardware, inappropriate configuration, loose connections, etc.

To fix the error you can try the below DIY methods:

1. Check the SMART status
  2. Run an error check
  3. Run CHKDSK scan
  4. Initialize the disk

Further, you can check the below blog to know more troubleshooting methods that can help resolving the issue and also helps to recover data from such drive:

Hope it helps!