My Passport temperature sensitive?

I have a 4tb My Passport. I’m going to use it for backups only. I want to keep it out of my home in case my home was destroyed in a fire or whatever. I’d like to keep it in my car. How sensitive is it to temperature? I could put it in a small “cooler” if necessary. But would be OK in a New England winter or hot summer?

Also, I’m amazed if this small drive is an actual hard drive rather than SSD. How come it doesn’t get hot when used? I see no vents.

Any chance of an 8tb My Passport in the near future?

thanks,
JoeZ

I would not recommend it – Why not store it in your office or with a friend?

I believe the idea is to always have a backup outside the building you work in. So, storing in my office wouldn’t accomplish that. I don’t live near any friends so that I could get access to it frequently. I should think the company has specifications on what temperature is safe for the drive but like most community forums, the company’s tech people aren’t available. I suppose I can email them.

Well, the idea is to have a backup that’s not in the same place as the original. So if you’re backing up work data, storing at home (as long as security concerns are addressed) would be OK, IMHO.

This article has some good info:

Well, I work at home- which is why I need a storage place outside my home. Thanks for that link. That should answer my question. I suppose I could put it in my bank vault- or just not worry about a tornado or fire destroying my home. It’s statistically unlikely and I want to take no chances.
Joe

Now it all makes sense! :laughing:

You might also check out some of the cloud-based backup solutions like BackBlaze.

Tony, the reason I haven’t gone to the cloud is that I have lots of files and some very large files because I’m doing a lot of amateur video work with a “360 degree” video camera that takes 5.7K video (the Insta360 One X). It really eats up drive space- so I recently bought a Seagate 8tb external drive for most of my work- not as a backup. As of the moment it has a couple of tb on it and I back that up to My Passport. But at the rate I’m going with the video files- the 4tb My Passport will fill up soon so I’m hoping to get an 8tb or larger portable drive. I like the WD My Passport but I’m not committed to the brand. I’ve used many internal and external drives over the years with very good luck. Can’t recall any ever failing- but I don’t like to overwork them so when they’re starting to fill up- I get a bigger drive. Even if I keep my backup drive in the house most of the time- at least when on vacation, I’ll take it with me or put in my bank vault. Thanks for your comments.
Joe

Download HD Tune
Click on the temperature Icon and you will see your drive temperature limitation.