My Passport Drive not accessible

Normally, the computer storage drives are quiet and steady, but in case of any physical damages or logical corruption, they can begin to make noise. There are number of different hard drive clicking sounds with different reasons. To know more about the issue with the solutions, I suggest you to check out the below blog: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/hard-disk-inaccessible-recover-files/

Hope it will help.

Same problem with me, hard disk is 1.6TB full, I will rather try to recover my data. It mainly had old games along with some old backup, nothing important.

Did WD replace your drive? I have exact same problem with my drive too.

They did not replace the drive. They sent me a replacement cord which did not work. They claimed that maybe there was not enough power to the external drive. They said they would replace the drive since it is still within warranty, but they advised me to get my data off of the driveā€¦which I am unable to because I cannot access the drive. They referred me to a data recovery company (DataSavers) who is contracted by them who gave me a rough quote of almost 3k to recover the data. (No thank you) I have decided to no go with a replacement drive because with this drive being as shoddy as it is, frankly I do not want them sending me another poorly manufactured piece of ā€¦sheee-electronic equipment. I hope you and others have been able to resolve their issues.

hi I tried to do it
C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk drive letter: /f
Invalid parameter - letter:

this one shows to me,

I have a 3 TB Elements I used twice only to back up my files, Iā€™m trying to use it now unfortunately itā€™s not showing in the computer even NO blue Lightning and start up sounds. I tried to use other cables but the problem is on the Drive itself.

Youā€™re doing it wrong.

ā€œchkdsk drive letter: /f

It will be like chkdsk H: /fā€

i tried again but still

C:\WINDOWS\system32> H: /f"
The system cannot find the drive specified.

am I still doing it incorrect?

I don't know really

Thanks for giving us an update. This is total ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . Apparently those devices suffer from design issues. I will not be buying or recommending WD to anyone. I will also see if I can start a class action lawsuit against this company.

Iā€™m sorry to hear about your issues with the WD My Passport external HDD! :frowning: Iā€™d recommend you to try using a different USB cable when connecting the drive to your laptop or computer. Iā€™d also strongly advise you to restore important data with data recovery software like iBoysoft Data Recovery as soon as possible. Here is a useful tutorial to fix external hard drive not accessible on Windows 10.

You should also try uninstalling & reinstalling it as a device from Device Manager. How does it appear in Disk Management? If you are able to see it there, you should try assigning a different drive letter to it. Running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from WDā€™s Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows is also essential because it will help us figure out what is the health and SMART status of the hard drive.

Hi, I also encounter similar issues.

My WD (My Passport 4 TB) suddenly freeze when being used, then make everything freeze in my new notebook (windows 10, USB 3). After waiting for quite long time (around 15 minutes or so), I tried to force restart the notebook. After that my external HDD couldnā€™t be opened. The HDD appear as drive F in my Computer, but it couldnt be opened.

At first, there is pop up notification written as ā€œThe request failed due to fatal device hardware errorā€.

Second time, I tried on different PC. It still couldnā€™t be opened but thereā€™s no notification pop up. It listed as drive F in my computer also in computer management. However in the computer management, the HDD file system written as RAW (not NTFS). The drive still couldnā€™t be accessed.

The third time, I tried some suggestion to check it on Macbook (iOS). The HDD doesnā€™t appear on the finder, but it shown (after around 15 minutes or so) in disk utility. However i couldnt mount the drive or accessed the files. When i click the HDD properties in disk utility, itā€™s written ā€œcan be verified:no, can be repaired:noā€.

The forth time, i try again to access using 1st notebook (to try chkdsk). It shown as drive F but when i try to open computer management, again the notebook getting freeze and the weird sound started. I have to force shut down (again) and unplug the cable.

Is there any suggestion for these?
As the data really really important for me, I need information how to fix this issue.
I try to see some videos on youtube but thatā€™s make me more confuse, whether thatā€™s hardware failure or system failure?
What should I do to recover all data inside HDD? Should i retry using chkdsk/data recovery software?
Or i should I stop trying to plug the HDD to prevent more damage (if itā€™s hardware failure)?

Thanks and looking forward for the recomendation.

Read through all the threads and I hope people see this. Someone (BimBam) said to try
EASUS Partition Master and it is working. Free download. someone also said WAIT. it is taking time but it is working. What appears to have triggered this issue is i used all the storage.

Hey, I had the same problem, my WD My passport is like 12 yrs old and would get stuck once I plugged it in. Mine was locked and wouldnā€™t be unlocked using the unlock.exe on the drive as it always errored showed an error upon execution.

So the first step I followed was to unlock it using WD Security App.

Once it was unlocked It gave me the option to remove password or change password, I removed the password.

Then I unplugged the drive and plugged it again.

Next, I ran through the following process to repair the drive.

Step 1. Press the Windows key and type cmd.
Step 2. Right-click ā€œCommand Promptā€ and choose ā€œRun as administratorā€.
Step 3. Enter the following command:

chkdsk E: /f

You need to replace E with the drive letter showing in your system for the my passport drive.
The process for me took less than 10 minutes (see screenshot)

After the process was complete I was able to see all my files in the drive E.