My Passport 0740 not recognised

Hello all, my external HD My passpot has problems.
I don´t see it in windows.
I run dashboard 3.2.8.10 and it says " Drive Health : Not Available" and “Status: Not Supported”
What can I do?
Thanks in advance.

If your WD passport is not being recognized, first turn off the power source.
An external hard drive may occasionally be able to discover a problem with the use of a very simple approach. To use this method, simply follow the steps below.

• Put your computer to sleep.

• Wait a few minutes after disconnecting your computer’s power line.

• Re-connect the computer’s power cord, then turn it on.

Driver updates for USB devices
If every USB port is functional, you should check to see if the computer has the most recent USB driver loaded. Since outdated drivers may prohibit a drive from connecting to a computer and indicate that a hard drive has not recognized a problem.

Check the Drive in Disk Management.
Then, see if Windows recognizes the hard drive when you plug it in. If it isn’t connected already, plug your portable drive into your computer.

Launch the Disk Management tool next. To accomplish this, enter the Power User menu by pressing Win + X (or by right-clicking the Start button) and choosing Disk Management from the list. To launch this tool, press Win + R and type diskmgmt.msc into the Run dialogue box.

And you are still getting the same error; then there are high chances that your hard drive has become dead. In this situation, you need to take the help of a Professional Hard Drive Recovery service provider.

1 Like

Thanks miss Amelia for your time, first at all.
I did try your options, it did not work.
I wouldn’t care to loose the data, I´d like to be able to reuse the external disk.
When I try disk management tool the system hangs… when I disconnect the HD it lives again (the system).
Best Regards

There are several reasons why your external hard drive may not be appearing in Windows, and the error message you received from the dashboard may indicate a problem with the drive itself. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check the connections: Make sure that the USB cable connecting the external hard drive to your computer is securely plugged in. Try using a different cable or USB port to see if that makes a difference.
  2. Restart your computer: Sometimes a simple restart can solve the problem. Make sure to safely eject the external hard drive before restarting your computer.
  3. Check for driver updates: Visit the website of the manufacturer of your external hard drive and check if there are any driver updates available. Install any available updates.
  4. Use Disk Management: Open Disk Management by right-clicking on the Windows Start button and selecting “Disk Management”. Check if your external hard drive is listed there. If it is, right-click on it and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths”. Assign a new drive letter to the external hard drive and see if it appears in Windows Explorer.
  5. Use data recovery software: If none of the above steps work, it is possible that the external hard drive has a hardware problem. You can try using data recovery software such as Recuva or Stellar Data Recovery to recover any data on the drive. If the drive is under warranty, you can contact the manufacturer for a replacement.

If none of the above steps work, it may be necessary to take your external hard drive to a professional data recovery service for further diagnosis and repair.

1 Like

Hi,
Can you please check out this blog for your reference hope you will get some solution from it.

Hello miss Olivia I´he tried what you comment, disk management hangs trying to read the device.
The problem began when it did recognize the External HD as CD drive, but I couldn’t see the data storage in. I just want to reuse the device.
Thanks in advance.

Hello miss Amelia I will take a look at the blog as you indicate.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like