My Cloud inaccessible on linux distros

I’m a Linux novice. I’ve got an 8 TB My Cloud hooked into an Ombi router. My 3 Win 10 pro machines can “see” all the files on the NAS just fine, but my Linux machines can’t “see” the files until I go to the browser dashboard. I want my Linux machines to “see” My Cloud the same way Windows “sees” the files. I’ve got Elementary OS on an old Mac laptop, Ubuntu 20.04 on an old iMac and a dual boot Win machine, and Zorin OS on an old Win laptop. I’ve also got nine different virtual Linux distros running in VirtualBox. I would love to have them all connected to My Cloud. I don’t want to do a simple file sharing. I want each Linux distro to see the whole disk. Has anyone had this same problem and has anyone found a solution?

Not something I would want to throw at a novice but as you seem to be fine with multiple OSes, have you tried using WINE to install the windows desktop app on Linux?

Thanks for the suggestion, mcgrgho. I smacked my head when you mentioned wine. I had totally forgotten about it. So I installed wine, installed “play on linux”, and tried to install WD Discovery.exe on the virtual win drive. Nope. Everything I tried did not work. I was ready to give up the WD NAS and plug a hard drive into my router’s usb; unfortunately, the router’s usb was 2.0, so I went out and bought a new router with a 3.0 usb slot and a usb 4 TB hard drive. Long story short, the new router enraged me with thirteen rejected passwords, and when I changed its name (before I plugged the HD in), it decided not to work. It didn’t like me (and I hated it), so I brought it back (kept the portable HD) and reconnected the old Orbi.

Here’s where the story gets intriguing. I started playing around with my Linux distros to see if the reattached old router worked. Tried Zorin first. Clicked on Network. Asked me for user name and password like former times (it would never accept my username and password); decided to go in anonymously. Got to Public like before. Nothing in it (I could see 15 folders on my win10 machines). Also got to TimeMachine, Nothing there. Just for the hell of it, I tried putting a file into TimeMachine. Ye Gods, it worked. I saved the file and opened it. Typed some idiocy and saved it again. Eureka! I could edit on the NAS. Tried the same thing in Public. Yup. Moved a website saved on a usb to Public and opened default.html in Chrome. Ye Gods. Worked as well as my BlueHost website. Went to my other Linux machines. Elementary OS opened the Public web site; both Ubuntu machines opened it. Ahh, Geek Heaven. But then I had this weird foreboding. Why didn’t I see the same files I saw on the win machines?

So I went back to the win machines and sure enough, none of the Linux files showed up. The files I had saved on the z: drive all worked, but nothing from the Linux aliens.

Looks like I have a schizophrenic WD NAS.

Can anybody tell me what’s going on? I can’t see the saved Linux folders on my Win machines, and I can’t see the saved Win folders on my Linux machines. What am I doing wrong? Can somebody tell me how to “see” Public and TimeMachine on my Win machines? I know I won’t ever be able to “see” my Win files on my Linux machines (I’ve tried every mount command I could think of to access the NAS in /etc/fstab), but the other way around would work perfectly for what I want to do.

Shame the Wine thing didn’t work - though given the requirements that seem to be a mix of 64/32bit, the multiple auth/service/handler daemons (for want of a better word) that run, maybe it needs specific windows internal functions that aren’t available and the exe (one of them anyway) being deleted and recreated (with baked-in hashing or auth?) as part of normal operation probably confuses things.
Though looking at behaviour under windows (I cannot windows-share a mapped WD mounted Z: drive) I wonder if it would have been ‘trapped’ anyway.

Some not-good news you won’t want to hear - the Public free for all folder is the only standard win/SMB shared folder - the mapped Z: drive needs the WD software to mount it, likewise any folders shared via the WD software/site.
Though you should definitely be able to see the Public folder from any machine on the network, via normal windows networking.

Re-reading your initial question, I see this doesn’t really answer it, sorry! Off on a tangent. Maybe for this device you need to give VirtualBox the exact name of the MyCloud as an available share which looking again I think I should probably check this is a MyCloudHome not a MyCloud, right?

If you want it to operate more like a regular NAS or at least have more of those functions available, you might want to look at the ‘install entware’ thread which I really really ought to try for myself one of these days.

I’ve just released a new version (v0.1.0) of MCHFuse, a FUSE filesystem to access the MCH devices from Linux. The project is open source and available at https://github.com/mnencia/mchfuse . It is still imperfect (write performances are terrible), but
it may help you to access from Linux data stored using the the official apps from OSX, Windows or mobile versions.

Hope it helps.