My Cloud Home says "Device is Offline" after receiving notice drive was updated

My My Cloud Home Duo is no longer recognized by my computer, which is running the latest version of Windows 10. It contains important data. My Cloud Home says the device is offline. I also cannot access it from other devices. My router appears to be recognizing the drive and assigning it an IP address. This change followed a message I received on January 22 at 11:56 PM stating “My Cloud Home Duo has been updated.” I’ve unplugged the drive and disconnected it from the cable modem and unplugged the router and disconnected it from the modem. These interventions did not work. Has anybody else experienced this problem and does anybody know how to fix it?

I’m not sure what software was updated - or why. If the drive isn’t broken don’t fix it. I am not a computer professional or even a hobbyist and cannot handle these kinds of problems on my own. I wish they just would leave it alone.

4 Likes

I have the same problem. Can not access from MAC, iPhone or web service.

I see my Cloud Home Duo with fine and it has IP address. Two days without important data, I hope it will be fixed.

2 Likes

Same here. Please, have this fixed

1 Like

Since last firmware update it appears like offline.

2 Likes

The same here. The app says the device is offline.
Accesing the NAS via SMB causes errors and several directories dissapeared.
I have to try again but after a restart of the computer the SMB connection worked well for a few minutes. After WD discovery was started the device failed again.

Estou exatamente com o mesmo problema!!
Sem título

I am also experiencing this same issue. I have tried everything from the WD support pages and spent several days going back and forth with customer service. I was told that a technician would call me this morning however that never happened. How can a company be aloud to operate like this? A forced software update has effectively locked me out of 4+TB of my own personal data! I would love any additional help from here if anyone has managed to resolve this.

1 Like

It is mystifying. I’ve also worked with WD support and even sent debugging logs. I was supposed to receive a call today that never came. Today, after calling myself, I was told to wait until Tuesday. The other weird thing is that I have to explain the case to each person I talk to as if it is a new issue despite providing the case number.

1 Like

Have you had any success yet? I have tried calling WD several times and each time they tell me they have requested a call back within 2 hours. Every time they have failed to call me back. Over a week now with no access to my own personal data.

1 Like

The communication has been spotty, but I gather they think the drive failed or at least - after reviewing the debugging logs - they do not think there is anything else they can do. The drive doesn’t show up in File Explorer or Disk Management. I am going to take it to a data recovery company to retrieve the data. It seems quite a coincidence that the failure coincided with a firmware update, but I don’t know what else to do. It is under warranty, so WD will replace the drive, but I have to pay for data retrieval, which is obviously much more expensive. I’m sorry I didn’t pay for a remote server, but my computer knowledge is limited and I thought this was the best solution. I won’t make the same mistake by using these types of products again.

1 Like

Thanks for your update. I fear I may be in the same boat regarding looking for data-recovery options. It’s highly unlikely to be a drive failure. 2 HHD failing at the exact same time, after a forced software update? No, this is not a coincidence, the WD update is 100% the cause of this issue. I have no doubt that the data stored on the drive is perfectly intact, just needs to right software/drivers to retrieve it.

FWIW, next time, I’m going with a Synology NAS.

1 Like

Same here. No access since Fr. 22.1. to Sat. 23.1. - ist seems like the disks are migrating data all the time, but no access. It‘s the second time this happend after a firmware update. WD thats not fine- it ■■■■■ !!!

When you try to access your drive, does it say that it’s actively migrating or does it just appear offline?
Mine was showing the migration screen for a few days, and then changed to just offline. (However I can hear the drives are still constantly working away doing ‘something’.)

3 Likes

The message is „offline“ - but still working „whatever“ :crazy_face:

Nenhuma resposta da WD ainda, continuamos sem acesso aos dados!!!

sim, infelizmente novamente um desempenho ruim do suporte wd. nenhuma reação ou explicação - e isso de novo e de novo - muito ruim!

I’ve been experiencing the same issue on my My Cloud Home (not duo). It first started on Jan 22 when my backups began to fail, which were running fine for months. After rebooting the NAS, it would not reconnect to the drive letter that was assigned - after doing this successfully for 2 years. In addition I noticed that if I stare at it long enough (mostly wishful thinking) the NAS would actually reboot and never fully hit a solid LED…simply a blinking LED and then reboot.

Exatamente o que ocorre aqui comigo, ele tenta conectar a nuvem da WD por diversos minutos, não mapeia uma letra para acesso, mostra off-line no site, e reinicia de tempos em tempos. adquiri em 2018 e também funcionou bem ate 22 de janeiro. espero que a WD resolva o problema pois tenho 4 tb de fotos e documentos dentro da unidade que estão inacessíveis! vai dar processo!

My device has been “slow breathing,” with the LED in front, never reaching a stable state. Presumably, with a mirrored drive extracting the data shouldn’t be a problem.

infelizmente estamos nas mão da WD, você compra um equipamento caro de backup que da problema, então temos que ter backup do backup? não faz sentido! espero que o suporte esteja acompanhando este fórum, preciso acessar meus dados, precisamos de uma solução de forma urgente!

1 Like