My Cloud Home Duo is offline / how can I reset the IP?

hi there !

two weeks ago I shut down my Mycloud Home Duo through the iPhone app.
Yesterday I wanted to turn on my Mycloud, but the app can’t find it anymore, windows, Mac the browsers can’t find it. I tried different Browsers, Computers etc. I’ve tried several times to restart it with the PIN Reset (4-10 Seconds) but nothing changed. The LED pulses white.
I restarted my router and modem several times, turned on, turned off DHCP, changed IPs and tried a different router.
The menu of my router and the menu of my router show MCYCLOUD is connected (green) with a IP (e.g. 192.168.0.263 or 192.168.1.9), but still nothing happens if I try to connect. It still shows offline.

What can I do ?

Should I try the “bigger” reset with 40 seconds ? but the data on the disk would stay “safe”, right?

Should I get the harddisks out of the case and try to backup my files? Is this working easily with Linux or is it really difficult?

I would be really happy, If you could help me out.

Thank you and kind regards!

Hello,

Please refer to the following KBA article: WD My Cloud Home Not Detected, Not Found, Cannot Connect or Device Offline

Tried everything in this article. No Success so far. Would be happy if there is some help.

Removing the drives won’t help, you won’t be able to move data out of the drives due to proprietary WD file system (KDDFS).

I would not bank on data being safe either - in the early days using MHC it had dropped partition several times loosing all the data. Somehow I have not lost anything… Really thinking myself “why I even decided to continue using it… considering that I knew how unreliable this thing is… must be my own fault”.

What I would suggest is to contact WD support directly, rather than via forum. Then ask them to escalate it to level 2 or 3 support (or whatever they have). First guy will definitely be fairly useless and send links for useless online articles, but continue on insisting to get connected to proper support and ask them what to do.

1 Like

I am sorry you are having trouble, but there may already be answers in the forum that may be applicable.

You may also be able to read the debug_logs.zip if there is one and find out the problem.

1 Like

Thank you very much. Finally I got an answer. They said unfortunately both hard disk drives are damaged. So they are offering to replace them with new drives.

Now I am thinking if it is still possible to get some files out of it with various software.
Some time ago I ve read there are some expensive ones, but I have to do some research.

If you have any solution or have heard anything… I would be really happy.

Thank you !!! It is still white breathing. I can’t connect to the drive.
I have managed to get the Debug Logs.
The Debug Logs were about 32 MB. I ve sent them my Debugs.
Now they re telling me both drives are damaged. They want to replace them.

Is there any recommendation for any software or Linux application to rescue some files ?

Thanks in advance.