My Cloud Firmware

Silly question I suppose to those that know, but I don’t.
I noticed in a small store had an unopened 4GB My Cloud package at quite a nice price.
Not having anyway to tell what the firmware is currently on this unit does it matter ?
I guess what I am asking is if this was an older unit with some sort of 2.x firmware can it be updated to the latest 4.x firmware ?

I just don’t want to buy something and find out it can’t be upgraded.

Thanks for any help

Version 4.x is for the gen1 My Cloud. Version 2.x is for the gen2 My Cloud. The gen2 is the newer My Cloud.
The firmware is not compatible between these systems.

See last two messages in this thread for model No=Gen No info

I’d go for an unused Gen 1, as it allows alot more customization, but search @fox_exe 's postings for software improvements for both generations (for single bay My Clouds).

Err is that shop in the Chicago area and did they have more than one? :slight_smile: I’d love to pick another at “quite a nice price” ; -)

rac thanks for that info. Surprised that the older version had a higher numbered firmware.

Here is a question that I need help with. It’s what started the whole process for me.

With all the problems lately with malware/ransomeware I wanted to be able to back-up my system or at least particular files just in case. I thought that it would be best to disconnect the backup drive after doing the back-up to keep it from possibly being infected. So originally I thought of the Western My Book that connects directly with a USB cable.
While trying to decided the best way to accomplish my task I bumped into the previously posted My Cloud.
As I understand it I can disconnect the My Book and reconnect when necessary. I’m not so sure about the My Cloud.
Any help with my thinking would be appreciated.

Other than speed and processors etc. are the My Book and the MY Cloud the same save for the way they connect one via USB, and the other a port on my router which would allow me if I wanted set up to access files via the internet from another device?.

P.S. The My Cloud is a 4TB model in it’s original package for $99 so even I know it’s a great price, but only if it’s something I can use.

The My Book connected thru the USB port should be faster. They both can be accessed as a mapped drive. As for the problem of ransomware. You can unplug the My Book after the backup. You can also disconnect the My Cloud from the network after the backup. You could also tell the My cloud to shutdown after the backup. Which could save you the time waiting for the backup to complete.

The My Cloud units come with the capability to backup its contents/settings to an attached USB hard drive. If you are looking at a first gen v4.x firmware single bay My Cloud then download and read through the User Manual, there is a specific chapter on how to use the Safepoint feature.

http://products.wdc.com/library/?id=439&type=25&cn=4779-705103&lang=en

If you are buying a second gen v2.x firmware single bay My Cloud then download and thread through that User Manual (which is different than the link above) and see the chapter on Backup (erroniously called Safepoint) in the v2.x User Manual.

http://products.wdc.com/library/?id=439&type=25&cn=4779-705147&lang=en

And yes its stupid that the older first gen single bay My Cloud firmware number is higher than the second generation single bay My Cloud units. Its something that’s been endlessly complained about since WD released the second gen units.