Firmware Version

I had to send my My Cloud 4TB back to the manufacturer for replacement. They sent me one with firmware version 2.xx.xx on it. The one I sent back had version 4.xx.xx on it.

Which firmware version is newer? Since firmware version 2.xx.xx doesn’t have safepoint, but can schedule backups to another My Cloud on the network providing port forwarding is set up, how do I know if I purchase another one, it’ll have version 2.xx.xx on it? If it has 4.xx.xx then it’s a waste of time.

They gave you a GEN 2 My Cloud … you gave them the original GEN 1 My Cloud. GEN 2 runs version 2 firmware and GEN 1 runs version 4 firmware.

Safepoints are a GEN 1 name and GEN 2 calls them Backup.

1 Like

Which firmware version is newer? Since firmware version 2.xx.xx doesn’t have safepoint, but can schedule backups to another My Cloud on the network providing port forwarding is set up, how do I know if I purchase another one, it’ll have version 2.xx.xx on it? If it has 4.xx.xx then it’s a waste of time.

Those are very good questions, and ones we asked WD when they silently launched the Gen2 MyCloud in place of the Gen1 product. It seems very odd to launch a newer device, but give it a firmware identifier that appears older than the previous generation (v2 is for the Gen 2 devices, v3 & v4 for Gen 1 devices). It causes no end of problems for the ‘unpaid support staff’…

Users who have purchased Gen 2 devices report that they are shipped in a smaller box. The part number is also different, but I can’t remember the details…

Not to mention that there are various options within the Dashboard that are not the same between the two generation models. Nor the fact that the v2.x My Cloud User Manual initially says Safepoint in the table of contents then changes to using Backup in the body of the manual. Or the fact one cannot schedule automated backups apparently from the v2.x Backup program like they can with the Safepont on v3.x and v4.x. (face palm)

I went into a store today and was unable to determine what generation the My Cloud’s were that they had in stock. Seems impossible.

Here’s one of the first threads where the Gen 2 became apparent. It has a picture of the box, and the device part number.