My Cloud EX4 – HDD Whitelist

GlebLar wrote:

Hi,
If i buy EX4 (with latest firmware) and four 6TB disks (WD60EFRX) - would the total capacity be 24TB or would it be truncated (for example on 16TB) due to any system limitation ?
Thanks.

Why on earth would you buy an EX4 in 16TB configuration, if you are planning to buy 4x6TB drives to put in it???

What will you then do with the 4x4TB drives that come with the 16TB model after swapping out each 4TB drive with a 6TB one??

But yes, if you are that flush with cash, go for it - the 16TB model will support four 6TB drives and give you 24TB capacity (in JBOD mode - not in RAID), as long as the NAS has the latest firmware on it.

If I were you, I’d buy the EX4 in diskless configuration (see here for the different configurations EX4 is sold in → http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1170#Tab3 )- it’ll be hundreds of dollar cheaper AND have no disks inside to swap out with. Sometimes the questions I see here makes me wonder about the people out there :)

I’m going to buy a version without the disks, if formed a different impression - excuse my english.

Thank you, I received the answer that 24TB eventually get.

Explain more please about the “not in RAID.”
I can not get to 24 TB in RAID 0, only in JBOD ?

Finally - I can get 12TB in RAID 10 ?

Thanks.

My error - in RAID 0, yes, you will get full capacity use of the 24GB, if you put in four 6TB drives. Don’t know about RAID 10…perhaps someone else can answer that.

Thank you very much !

Confirm - all work fine, total capacity not truncated, with latest firmware and four 6TB disks full capacity of storage is 24TB.
RAID 10 mode also work, with capacity 12TB of course.
Thanks.

Hello,

I have a HDD that is formated on NTFS windows 7 and is full with files. When I put them in EX4 it wont to format them. 

Did I can use disk without format them?

Yes if you have the latest firmware. (Since 1.05.21 +)

With the older ones only 16tb maximum