My Cloud EX4 File Size Limit

Just purchased an EX4. Setup went smoothly. Then I started copying files. Any file 1GB or over stopped copying at 999MB. Is there a file size limit on this device. If so, it’s kind of useless to me.

Welcome to the Community.

We have passed along this information to WD Support, but more information related to your operating system, RAID configuration and firmware revision will allow for more Users to better help you.

I am running a Mac Pro wih Yosemite. The EX4 is RAID 5 right from the factory. Firmware is 2.10.302. Device is 16TB with 11.8TB available.

It’s been 2 weeks now and I still have NO answers. Can someone simply tell me if I can’t backup files greater than 1GB? This is not a difficult question to answer,either it does or doesn’t. But it’s useless with video files if so.

Hi, are you using the application? Are you local to the drive or remotely? 

I'M USING IT IN LOCAL MODE AND I'M USING THE APPLICATION. EVERYTHING WORKS AS LONG AS THE FILE IS UNDER 999MB. ANYTHING OVER THAT EITHER HANGS THE APP OR IT COPIES UP TO 999MB AND THEN STOPS.

I’ve found the same issue. Running an iMac with El Capitan (but it also happened when I was running Yosemite). Files larger than 999MB stop transferring. I have found that when the transfer stops at 999MB, if you hit “Pause” and wait until the EX4 catches up, you can resume the transfer and another 999MB will transfer and then stop again (if you do this too soon, the transfer starts over again). You can keep doing this until the entire file is transferred. However, not a good solution. I’d like to know how to resolve the issue.

Anyone find a solution or fix for this problem?

Hi Gary,

I didn’t get any help from anyone at WD. In fact, no one I talked to even seems to be aware of the problem. But I did find a fix…albeit a work around at best. I have a program called Synchronize Pro which I use for my audio and video backups. It turns out, if I use Synch Pro to synchronize my project folders with my EX4 it takes any sized file and transfers fully. So it’s obviously something with the EX4 drag and drop protocol. Maybe there are other backup solutions that work as well. But using file manager or the EX4 interface causes the problem.

Thanks for the info. I suppose I could also do something like that. I’m just doing drag and drop of miscellaneous files periodically (videos mostly) and would certainly prefer it work properly using drag and drop. Maybe if we keep pestering WD, we’ll get a proper solution. I’m out for a few days but I’m going to work on this again when I return.

I’m guessing that seeing how I have this problem on a new MyCloud Mirror, and it’s three months after these post that this problem has not been resolved. I’ve had this drive a week now and trying to get it set up and functioning properly has been a complete nightmare. Nothing on this drive works as it should and nothing sets up properly with out taking out some other functionality. I’m guessing that most people who have this drive only use it to back up photos from their phone or something and never actually try to use it as a NAS drive.