My Cloud EX2 Ultra connection problems with Mac OS

Hello,

I have owned a My Cloud EX2 Ultra for a few months now and I have problems when using it with my Macbook Pro laptop. (OSX version 10.10.2)

The main issue is Macbook randomly losing connection with My Cloud.
The device would not appear anymore in the Network page in the finder.
If I turn off the airport wifi and back on, My Cloud icon would appear again.

Possibly related to the same issue there is another problem.
I like some of the folders stored in my NAS to have a shortcut icon in the Finder side bar, but what happens is they would randomly disappear from the Finder and every once in a while I have to create the links again.

I am thinking these issues are related to Mac OS because I am also using the same NAS with an older Windows 7 PC and with that I haven’t got any problems at all.
Also it seems that the Windows system access to the files much faster, the Mac system is very slow, especially if a folder contains a lot of file, it takes a while after opening it before the contents show up.

Was wondering if I am missing some optimisation steps in order to improve My Cloud to work on a Mac OS X system ?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Hello sad_1024,

Do you have connection problems with the internet in general with your MBP.
Your operating system is 4 years old (Yosemite) I would consider updating it.

it is unusual that your MBP is slower than your windows compter. I would suggest first running your MAN (scripts) in Onyx and then, with the apple disk repair, repairing your privileges.

I would also check the strength and speed of your WLAN to see if it is stable. Then try connecting again.
Good luck

Hello and thanks for your reply.

The reason why I am using an older OS version is because some apps that I use for music production aren’t supported on never OS versions.

The Macbook works fine on everything, except for My Cloud.

The wifi connection is strong and stable, I don’t have any problems with internet, downloading, streaming, etc.

I am not familiar with the procedures that you mention, I will have to do some research on that.

@sad_1024 You may find someone who can help you if you post in the sub-forum for your WD device.

https://community.wd.com/c/network-attached-storage

Hello sad_1024, I understand your reasons for not updating. I will look to try and duplicate your issue with an older MBP that I have. Maybe I will be able to figure out what is going on. I will get back to you at the latest on sunday.

Hello sad_1024, have not heard from you in a while. Does the problem still exist???

Hi Griot,

thanks for checking.

Unfortunately I still have the same problem.

I have tried all possible things to my limited knowledge, tried a new router as well.

The problem is still here. It is a bit annoying and I am really considering selling the MyCloud for something else

sad_1024, Lets go back to step one
1. use the WD Sync de-installation program,
2.then move the de-installation programm to the trash. (I use AppCleaner) check that all remenants have been removed.
3. go to the library that you see when you open you hard disk
4. Navigate to application supp and put the folder WD Sync into the trash.
5. leave the this library and go to the library at Your user level
6. in the folder Application Support remove the WD Sync folder
7. In the folder Application Scripts remove the two folders that start with com.wdc…
8. now go to the caches folder and remove the following three folders to the trash:
a.) com.wdc.branded.WD-App-Manager
b.) com.wdc.WD-Sync-Service
c.) com.westerndigital.WDSyncInstaller
9. now go to your Preferences folder and remove the two plist that start with com.wdc…
10. Almost finished. Now go to your document folder and remove the folder DeviceCache.
11. Now restart you device after 5 minutes and wait til its completely powered up
12. then reinstall WD Sync.

It should work now.

sad_1024, Lets go back to step one
1. use the de-installation program for WD Sync, 2.the use a move the de-installation programm to the trash. (I
use AppCleaner) check that all remenants have been removed.
3. go to the library that you see when you open you hard disk
4. Navigate to application supp and put the folder WD Sync into
the trash.
5. leave the this library and go to the library at Your user
level
6. in the folder Application Support remove the WD Sync folder
7. In the folder Application Scripts remove the two folders that
start with com.wdc…
8. now go to the caches folder and remove the following three
folders to the trash:
a.) com.wdc.branded.WD-App-Manager
b.) com.wdc.WD-Sync-Service
c.) com.westerndigital.WDSyncInstaller
9. now go to your Preferences folder and remove the two plist
that start with com.wdc…
10. Almost finished. Now go to your document folder and remove
the folder DeviceCache.
11. Now restart you device after 5 minutes and wait til its
completely powered up 12. then reinstall WD Sync. It should work now.