My Cloud deleted the wrong share

I attempted to delete an unused share on WD My Cloud, only to have it delete a share adjacent on the list instead. After searching the various boards, I have learned that this has happened to other users and that there is no way to recover the deleted data.

This really is unconscionable WD. Anyone else who reads this, caveat emptor. Beware. You are entrusting your data to a product that is flawed.

What program or app were you using when deleting the Share? Windows File Explorer/Mac Finder or one of the WD apps or MyCloud web portal?

Are you running backups of the My Cloud data using the embedded Safepoint/Backup feature in the My Cloud Dashboard?

If one has been using Safepoint/Backup they might be able to recover any deleted data provided that data was backed up recently.

The single bay/single drive My Cloud units do not feature a “recycle bin” option that the more expensive multi bay My Cloud models feature.

The My Cloud is like any other hard drive. If a user deletes the data, even accidentally/inadvertently, it is not the fault of the hard drive, rather the user who deleted the file. There are any number of third party data recovery programs and services that one can use (or pay for) to attempt data recovery on a hard drive. Search this subforum (using the magnifying glass icon upper right) as there are a number of past discussions covering how to attempt data recovery on a My Cloud hard drive.

As I mentioned in my original post, the My Cloud web portal interface somehow deleted a share I had not selected for deletion. My experience and outcome was the same as described in these threads:

https://community.wd.com/t/help-how-to-recover-a-deleted-share/94437

https://community.wd.com/t/my-cloud-deleted-the-wrong-share-folder/92241

Despite the fact that this problem had been brought to WD’s attention previously, no effort had apparently been made to try to remedy it. The suggestion that the user be allowed to confirm which share was to be deleted before executing it would have been particularly helpful in my case.

Your initial post did not indicate that you were using the My Cloud web portal or any other specific software or app, which is why I asked.

What web browser were you using to access the MyCloud.com web portal? Are there any third party add-ons installed to the web browser? Are you using a computer or mobile device?

There very well could be a bug in the MyCloud.com web portal coding but if there was you’d think there would be many more threads on the issue than the two listed.

WD has a habit of being glacially slow in fixing certain bugs/security vulnerabilities. Some bugs never get fixed.

I created a test share. Then I deleted the test share. It did ask if I wanted to delete the share. I had to click ok for it to work. What I did notice is that when you click on the -folder icon. It deletes the highlighted share. It does not ask you which share to delete. Also when it asks if you want to delete the share. The message does not display the share name that it will delete.

I can’t believe this bug still exists ! It proves I’m right in having stayed away from WD MyCloud products ever since (I turned to Synology.) I believe MyCloud web portal has serious flaw in its design in this regard. After those disastrous incidences of unwanted deletions, wouldn’t it be sensible for WD team to add, at least, the folder name to the confirmation message before deletion? How difficult can that be? This is the least they can do and still they haven’t ! A couple victims don’t count?

1 Like

Thank you for your responses. I was using the My Cloud Web portal from my laptop using Firefox. I was connected to my home network. I do have AdBlock and Webroot installed on the browser.

When the incident occurred, I had selected a different share for deletion than the one that was actually deleted. I received the confirmation notification and executed the delete. The browser response was slow and it took me a few minutes to realize what happened.

The problem may well be with the My Cloud web portal, or with lag in the network. It might have been avoidable if the share designated for deletion was indicated in the confirmation prompt, although if there is a bug, it simply might have listed the same (incorrect) share as the interface indicated. Sossos brought this to WD’s attention in 2014.