My Cloud compatibility with Apple TV 4th Gen

This article provides a solution to use WD My Cloud with Apple TV: https://www.lost-in-code.com/software/tvos/how-to-play-wd-my-cloud-on-apple-tv/

1 Like

It is not a problem playing (unprotected content on an Apple TV; that was not the issue. The problem is playing Apple video content from a My Cloud or My Passport Wireless. Apple video is protected, even if played from a drive to an Apple TV the content will not play. Apple does NOT let its protected videos play, other than from selected APPLE devices.

At least there are apps for installing on the ATV4 to play videos from the WD NAS. ā€œInfuseā€ for example works excellent with a lot of different codecs, encoding work is done by the app on the ATV. Infuse not even needs a software server (as for example plex). I`ve connected it via SMB with my NAS, perfect!

For pictures I think it`s almost more comfortable to have access on the NAS with Iphone/Ipad and ā€œstreamā€ it via Airplay to the ATV.

Perfect!!! Iā€™ve been waiting for this App for 37 years :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So I just want to follow up on this post and say the VLC media player finally gives me the reason for buying the useless Apple TV 2nd gen; been waiting for this and thank god we finally get a useful app.

Up until now, occasionally Iā€™ll use my Air Video HD app that needs a Mac Mini server to stream movies to the TV through Apple TV. Alternatively I could convert the all movies to .MP4 and download it or stream through the WD My Cloud app. Both method requires an iPhone or iPad to stream. However in the end I just end up watching all my movies on my MacBook. Iā€™ve been waiting for WD to write an app like VLC but I should have known, they did not and probably will not.

Anyways with the VLC app, I am finally enjoying all my WD Cloud movies through my Apple TV ,up-scaled to my new 4k HDR TV with no pixelation at all.

Great App and the best part of it is that it is free!! Yay for meā€¦

Iā€™ve been using VLC and Kodi on my little Ā£35 Android media boxes since I first bought them over two years ago. Itā€™s nice that someone has finally ported VLC to ATV. Maybe youā€™ll get Kodi one dayā€¦

Android; it just worksā€¦

Breaking news: looks like you may already be able to get Kodiā€¦

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-install-kodi-on-apple-tv-2017-3640061/%3Famp

[edit] I forgot that Kodi was available for ATV2, but development support stopped. Helix is a pretty good version; Iā€™m still using Isengard.

@cpt_paranoia
:point_up_2:
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: