My Cloud compatibility with Apple TV 4th Gen

I have My Cloud and want this to be recognized by the new Apple TV 4th Gen for streaming photos and videos. I know the earlier Apple TV did not recognize My Cloud. Wanted to confirm from WD if 4th Gen Apple TV will recognize My Cloud if they are on the same home network.

1 Like

See the following links. It appears that the Apple TV device doesn’t natively support DLNA but one can install an app apparently that will allow the device to act as a DLNA client or one can try to use their ipad or similar ios device as a workaround utilizing AirPlay.

Apple TV 4 - DLNA
https://origin-discussions-us.apple.com/thread/7306910

How to connect your Apple TV to a DLNA server
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tablets/8059/how-to-connect-your-apple-tv-to-a-dlna-server

Ah, the old Apple NIH policy

Thanks. This means Apple TV 4th Gen does not directly recognize WD NAS drive. I think WD should develop an app which allows it to recogise WD My Cloud NAS.

Pathy

1 Like

There isn’t a WD app for the Roku box either. But at least on the Roku there are options like the use of the Roku Media Player channel to access DLNA content. WD has their own TV media player device called WD TV, so their developing an app to run on the Apple TV or the Roku is probably not going to happen as they would be developing an app for a competitors product.

Or maybe Apple should support DLNA
? It’s not a WD-specific problem, it’s an Apple problem, since they deliberately refuse to support DLNA (a standard used by many devices), wanting people to use their Airplay instead.

It wouldn’t be too hard; there are open-source DLNA libraries. If only they chose to change their ‘not invented here’ policy.

There are plenty of other media players on the market, with fully open platforms. Buy one of them and tell Apple why you’re not buying their crippled product.

As an example, see this thread:

There are no current NAS DLNA compatible mode with Apple TV. Unless Apple decides to support DLNA one day, you are limited to running iTunes on your PC or Mac. No not the pathetic old outdated iTunes server that is misleadingly advertised on all NASes, but the latest revamped iTunes running on your Mac or PC.

In this method, you must have iTunes running and you simply drag and drop the .MP4 movies (link of the movie from your mapped Cloud) into iTunes and make sure home sharing is turned on, then select your home share on Apple TV.

Alternatively, there are many other streaming methods to your Apple TV like “Air Video” that runs as a server on your Mac or PC and your Cloud attached as a mapped drive. Using your iPad/iPhone you can connect to “Air Video” server, select and play “ANY” video from your cloud remotely and at home on a local WiFI, you can then Air Play any video to your Apple TV with on-the-fly conversion.

There are many other products similar to “Air Video” for streaming via “Air Play” to your Apple TV.

You can also use your WD Cloud app to “Air Play” your video from your iPad/iphone to Apple TV.

With the ability for “Apps” on the Apple TV 4th Gen, I would imagine that a WD Cloud App would one day allow you to browse your Cloud for movies, music and ebooks to play on your Apple TV.

I wouldn’t want to have to have a PC or Mac running, just to run a server to support a crippled product. Or have to use a tablet or phone as, effectively, a remote UI for a crippled product that already has a UI on the device it’s displaying on

That’s why I’d tell Apple to do one, and take my business elsewhere.

Anyone remember Apple’s ‘1984’ advert? You know, plucky underdog taking on the Big Brother of IBM?

Now who is Big Brother
?

1 Like

Play nice @cpt_paranoia, no Apple bashing here, WD Bashing yes, Apple Bashing no.

There was a time when all TV’s needed a PC to run as a server. Then the Apple TV was a great choice in replacing the PC video box, followed by the “Now” industry standard of “NOT” needing any PC servers.

The new Apple TV offers “Apps” of which I’m sure a nice WD Cloud TV app will be showing up soon (right? @Bill_S?)

Meanwhile you can play video games on the New Apple TV of which none of the other TV boxes offer.

Unfortunately, I have no idea. You could always write an app for the My Clouds. :grinning:

Meanwhile you can play video games on the New Apple TV of which none of the other TV boxes offer

I’ll assume you’re being ironic.

If not, then an ‘open platform’ Android box has, let’s say, one or two games on the play store

If it’s gaming you’re after

ps. I always play nicely. But I play fairly, too, and put the blame where it belongs

It is all a matter of perspectives, semantics, syntax and synthetics (just kidding on the last word) but you can say that a Xbox is a set top box that plays movies that also play games natively, but it is a game machine first and foremost costing $500+. Same with the Sony Playstation and this new device Nvidia shield android TV which probably needs a pc to stream the game (I didn’t quite read all the specs). Then there are the games that you play through an android device to your TV set box etc.

Turning the cup around is the new Apple TV $150 which is now app-centric. Everything can be an App including your cable subscriptions like HBO, ABC, DEF, FGH etc. and of course netflix
 and now the games all in App form.

All Apps are directly playable on the Apple TV itself; no other device needed. Thus all we need is a WD Cloud app of which they have on the iPad/iphone, just need to be ported over to the Apple TV.

There is no blame. DLNA wasn’t really a supported spec until half a dozen years ago (probably 8 years) and the closest thing that I could find to stream video without having to attach a pc to the TV was the Apple TV of which we had iTunes and Air Play at that time. However because Air Play and iTunes protocol is an Apple function, everyone else had to use DLNA.

Today DLNA and smart TV and other set top boxes are the norm and yes Apple TV is outside of this norm, it is not a blame but simply incongruent.

I do see a WD Cloud app for the TV in the future as this will then bring the Cloud App viewing ability to the Apple without DLNA. Perhaps there might be a DLNA app, who knows, but I think that rather than a generic DLNA, each company like QNap, WD would want their own cloud experience.

I assume this is a joke. :grinning: Been playing Angry Birds from time to time on my older Roku 2 XS. There are a pile of other games as well that are available to Roku users.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2014/09/29/closer-look-gaming-on-amazon-fire-tv-and-roku-3-is-mixed-bag-but-priced-fairly/

Actually I did not know that you could play games on your Roku as I’m an old Apple TV owner :stuck_out_tongue:

Then I’ll just correct the statement to “Meanwhile you can play video games on the New Apple TV just like Rocku and Fire TV” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m expecting that the IOS games will be a lot more powerful then just angry birds as the cpu and graphic engine for the Apple TV are on par with their iPads full 3d unity type graphics; although I’m just guessing. Also the Apple TV supports 3d TV, so 3d games might be around the corner :stuck_out_tongue:

It will be certainly interesting now that Apple has expanded their Rose Garden.

Although I am a semi Apple Fan, I will most likely avoid the new Apple TV since all my main gaming is done on my gaming PC.

There is no blame.

Of course there’s blame. Apple could, like virtually every other media device manufacturer, support DLNA and make their device interoperate with so much existing infrastructure. They might even sell more product.

Bespoke manufacturers’ apps, each developed to provide media streaming for their products? That might have a ‘walled garden’ benefit for manufacturers, locking customers into their ‘ecosystem’, but it’s not my idea of a Good Thing as a customer; I want open standards so I can pick and choose from different manufacturers.

Bespoke applications for a manufacturer’s products? We all have experience of just how ‘well’ that can work

Everything can be an App including your cable subscriptions like HBO, ABC, DEF, FGH etc. and of course netflix

That’s been the case on android media boxes for some time now. Apple are playing catch up. But I’m sure it will be treated as another Apple ‘invention’

Anyway, it must be a quiet night here if we have time to argue about Apple

:wink:

What we desire and want and blame are completely separate from what companies do.

Look at WD here of which despite all the problems that can be fixed by simply turning off their scans, they choose not to and has carried it forward to their latest OS 3.

You can blame them, I can blame them, but in the end they do as they will and thus there is no blame; very esoteric eh?

Why do you think that I keep looking at QNap servers? I am unhappy with WD and there is nothing I can do about it until another company that has a better fitting cloud for my use comes along. I can blame WD but yet I cannot.

You do have a choice though. Just don’t buy the product. You can also encourage others not to buy their product also, but in the end if others buy into it and because of the high number of users that don’t have a problem with it (i.e. no DLNA support), then that is the way it will be. Their use of the Apple TV is to watch all the movies from Apple and not from a Cloud device sold by WD.

Thus the only way to get around this is to build a wall garden app and of course nobody wants to build a generic wall garden app that reads all the competitors DLNA servers, they want their experience to be unique.

Like a WD Cloud app that runs on your Apple TV that can catalogue, movie box photo, displays movie info all from your Cloud.

I am a peaceful guy and I hate arguing :stuck_out_tongue:

here is a more succinct way of saying it
 if you are married for 20 years and want a newer model, you cannot blame the older model for being outdated or the fact that your marriage is in a walled garden. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi! I am not sure if you found a solution to this. I found one. I am using the new Apple TV 4th Gen and an application called “Playable” - Play almost anything video player. It recognizes my WD My Cloud and plays seamlessly.
Thanks,
Vinod

1 Like

Looks like I missed out on the fun here tonight, because we actually went out tonight! Anyway, adding my 2-cents to the discussion. Gaming issues aside (not a gamer}, although played Angry Birds, too, for a week or so when we got a newer Roku a few years ago, and haven’t played it since. Although if I was a gamer, I would get the best game machine, not look for an all purpose gadget like Roku, Fire TV or Apple TV to satisfy my gaming addiction.

I also think Apple bashing is perfectly acceptable here. Maybe some hapless Apple fan, so caught up in the Apple ecosystem, will see the light and discover there is another way; maybe even a better way.

Nevertheless, I’m not a total Apple-basher; we do each have iPhones and iPads, and when it comes to DLNA, I have apps on them that can stream music and video on the devices and/or stream to WDTV, it is also not a problem with these devices. With the File Browser app on them, they can play shared media on them or to WDTV, as well as to the el cheapo priced Chromecast2.

BTW, DLNA is overrated, because by having a device like a WDTV and shared devices that can be accessed, it overrides DLNA, making it unnecessary. In case no one noticed, DLNA is mostly there for the masses of people who could not construct a home network using network-shared devices if their life depended on it. All one needs to play DLNA media is a wireless router, a media source and a Smart TV. No understanding of home networks or shares needed. But, as we know, there is a cost to streaming media via DLNA, (can’t play videos from ISO; music is often in alpha order instead of track order, A plus of DLNA is it can play from playlists and shared devices can’t.,so for that I appreciate DLNA. It’s the best thing about it.

An area where I feel Apple really screwed their true-believers started with iOS 8, when they stopped allowing folks to play or stream videos residing on a hard drive, wireless drive or NAS that they downloaded from Apple Store. They only can play them on an Apple device nowadays. (Although, I read recently where someone said he re-encoded his Apple videos to remove the copy protection so he could play the videos (he purchased) from a wireless drive on to his iPad. Clever. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this procedure?)

My 2-cents.