My Cloud cannot not mount share on 4Tb My Book

That shows that the USB port seems to be working. Not sure what you have connected. Vendor ID 1d6b is for Linux hubs. Have you tried without the hub?

RAC

This is a problem that WD Support have identified… I don’t have a hub, and have never had a hub… I do have an Ubuntu PC attached to the same router, but nothing attached to the MyCloud

Ok those hub messages are the OS connection to the PC’s hardware. I get the same messages
on my system. But why all of a sudden is it not giving you the unsupported partitions message?

RAC

Just a quick update for all those of you that kindly contributed to this post.

The USB port on the MyCloud no longer registers any activity when any sort of USB devise is plugged in. All logs have been sent off to WD Support, who apparently, have escalated the matter of the USB port failure to higher authority.

I await a response from them and will of course inform you of the results once I receive them.

Thank you all for your help, I have learned a lot!

Roger

Hi,

Just a quick update to say that my My Cloud was RMA’ed and the replacement is working well. The My Book is recognised and Safepoint is working.

Thank you everybody for your help and input

Rog

Many weeks later…

I shut down my MyCloud and my MyBook for a week while I went away on holiday. On my return I powered them both on.

Yes, you guessed it. The MyCloud now cannot recreate the share it had on the MyBook. This software is seriously sh*te.

The message I get is:

Unable to create share

A share could not be created on a USB device (vendor: Western Digital, model: My Book 1230, serial number: 5743433445354A4C5A453650, file system: ntfs, label: Anathema, share name: Anathema).

Thursday, September 01, 2016 5:16:24 AM Code 1122

This is so disappointing as before the shutdown the system had been working perfectly.

I have used PuTTY to run a few checks:

fdisk -l /dev/sdb

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on ‘/dev/sdb’! The util fdisk doesn’t support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Note: sector size is 4096 (not 512)

Disk /dev/sdb: 4000.8 GB, 4000752599040 bytes
256 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60562 cylinders, total 976746240 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 4096 = 4096 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xdb4bf07b

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 4294967295 4294967292 ee GPT

What can I do to get this sorted, and, more to the point, why don’t WD pull their finger out and sort their code out?

Rog

i am a bit miffed today i had this isue with three my cloud drives all within a 10 day period of the new update and getting the new win 10 i took them out and plugged them into a hub ad until today i tried forget about it and saved up and bought new usb drives. i am surprised that WD have not fully publicised a solution or fix to this issuse with the usb port on the my cloud drives i gave them enough info and after all this time because there are so many people have this problem since the last upgrade and the introduction to the free win 10. but nothing serious enough was done…
what if WD did not want to fix this but rather let you buy mirror drives to do what could be done with the usb etc when a drive i used for back up just “broke” this was used for back up the main help i got was 'it was too late by that time for any help "why dont you get a mirror drive for this situation, fact is this drive just stopped for no good reason it effectively would have been the second drive in the mirror drive if i had one, you see? i suppose it could be any drive that goes which does not give any confidence. more like i have become a sceptic now.
so the usb on two of my cloud drives has failed to keep usb drives mounted code 1122 etc and so i bought brand new passports weeks later [this week now] and both cloud drives wont mount either of them, annoying!. if i bought a mirror drive, which also has two usb ports on them, just what assurance is there that they would work either??? you would expect it to do its job, right? or else whats it there for!? it all seems to me that too many usb’s on my cloud drives do not simply plug and play as they should do and not enough has been done to fix or get around this before the drives are sold or replaced, what if this has always been an issue and they got thousands of them sitting on a shelf waiting to go out to someone hoping to use the usb cause he cant afford a mirror drive?
if there is a solution that does not involve running in crcles or through rings please let me know.
i still welcome a solution though.

I am still having this random issue, happens with both seagate or WD drives on a random basis. Surely WD need to address this now?