My Book World Edition (2TB NAS) - NEED HELP

Hello,

My World Edition NAS has for some unknown reason, stopped responding. The white indicator light on the front is showing the fill capacity, but other than that, NO movement. I have tried the following:

1. Reset Button
  2. Power off/on
  3. Unplugging/plugging back in
  4. Unplugging the Ethernet cable and re-plugging it in

All of that to no joy. The WD Discovery software is not finding the drive. The computer is not finding the drive. When I place my hand on the enclosure, I can feel it humming, as if the drives are in fact spinning, but not sure that is what is causing the vibrations.

The drive has been working fine, until last weekend. I was copying a lot of data to the drive and it got hung up/froze. Nothing would unfreeze it, so I turned the drive off. When I turned it back on, this is what came back…

So, I’m not sure what to do at this point. ANY suggestions would be very welcome and thanks ahead of time!

Gunny

Hello,

To reset the device, make sure you press and hold the Reset button for at least 20 seconds, not only 4 seconds.

Also, try connecting the My Book World directly to the Ethernet Port in your computer to bypass the router and any possible network environmental issue causing this abnormal behavior.

Thanks G_Rayn for the prompt response. I tried your suggestions, but NO JOY! I have disconnected the unit and let it sit a couple of days now and re-plugged in the drive, but still NO JOY! The power switch and reset button do NOTHING, when pressed. I think I may have a dead drive, but it just doesn’t make sense. Have never had any problems with this drive, but it is a tad out dated now. Anyway, any other suggestions folks?

1 Like

Hi Joey. I have the 4TB 2-drive version, set up mirrored, exhibiting very similar symptoms - drives spin, LED’s light up, but it can’t be found by Discovery. In addition, the power and reset buttons do not function - it only powers up/down when I plug-in/unplug the AC adapter, and nothing happens after pressing the reset button continuously for at least a minute.

My I.T. friends with toys checked it out for some initial diagnosis. They are able to see that the drives have data on them, but cannot access the data, I suppose because it’s using a different bus. I’m hoping that an in-kind hardware switch out of this power/data connection block will solve the problem, but I can’t be sure. Tech support at WD generally agreed with me on the problem and pointed me to a data recovery service.

Before I do that, though, I’d like to try to try a switch-out my existing box, or maybe buying a new box on ebay, putting the old drives in the new box, and using the new box to reset the drives (while still keeping the data) and access my data. I’d rather avoid going the data recovery route if a simple hardware switchout.does the trick.

Does this sound like a feasible plan to anybody?

Thanks.

bd

Your idea and theory sounds good to me. Since this is the 2nd WD NAS drive to go bad, I am really getting WD gun shy! I was afraid the drive crashed, but what your saying sounds very logical. Please keep me advised on your progress and if I can be of any assistance, please let me know!

Thanks & Good Luck!

Gunny