My Book Live (Network Drive Mapping)

I installed the WD Discovery software.   When I run the program, I can see the MBL.  In the upper right “Things to Do”.  There are 4 items but only 2 are available (Confiure and Create Desktop Shortcut).  The Map Network Shares and Browse Network Shares options are “greyed” out and not avilable.

I know that on my old computer, I was able to access both of these options.  What do I need to do to make this options active?

The MBL is not connected to teh network, that is why the icons are greyed out.

Find the MBL on your router’s IP LAN table. 

I logged into my router (ATT Uverse Gateway) which is 192.168.1.254.  I opened the “device list” tab and found this

MAC Address [Deleted
IPv4 Address / Name 192.168.1.246 / WD2TB
Last Activity Tue Jun 2 21:18:06 2015
Status on
Allocation dhcp
Connection Type Ethernet lan-4

The WD drive is hardwired and clearly noticed. Now what?

JZOSU11292 wrote:

I logged into my router (ATT Uverse Gateway) which is 192.168.1.254.  I opened the “device list” tab and found this

MAC Address [Deleted]
IPv4 Address / Name 192.168.1.246 / WD2TB
Last Activity Tue Jun 2 21:18:06 2015
Status on
Allocation dhcp
Connection Type Ethernet lan-4

The WD drive is hardwired and clearly noticed. Now what?

use your browser to go to 192.168.1.246

what happens?

in MyComputer, do you see a listing for the MBL under Computer and under Storage?  You should see both. 

On your router, set the MBL to static. Assign it a static IP so that it stays 192.168.1.246 forever. 

If you still don’t see the MBL in Windows, then reboot the MBL using the reboot button in Dashboard.

See me responses below and photos

use your browser to go to 192.168.1.246

what happens?

—It opens up the WD Live User Interface. 

in MyComputer, do you see a listing for the MBL under Computer and under Storage?  You should see both. 

-No.  See neither.  I only see the WD MBL as a Twonky Server on Network.

On your router, set the MBL to static. Assign it a static IP so that it stays 192.168.1.246 forever. 

-I dont see anywhere were I can set it to “static” in my router.  It is set to “static” in the WD settings but the clearly not set that way.

If you still don’t see the MBL in Windows, then reboot the MBL using the reboot button in Dashboard.

-I’ll try this next…

Most likely the SMB (samba) server on the MBL was shut down.  By rebooting the MBL, the SMB server will restart.  

You can also restart the SMB server by using the command line via putty / SSH

I re-booted the MBL through the Utilities tab through Dashboard and I still can not click on “Map Network Shares” or “Browse Network Shares”.  Any other ideas?

Also, something else I noticed is that the drive does not go into energy save mode.  I used to have the drive hardwired to my out router but since I got ATT Uverse and hard wired it to their router, it always shows a “green” light and intermittently blinks.

restart the SMB (samba) server using the command line (SSH via Putty).

“Static” in router is also known as DHCP reservations, the DCHP will always hand out the same IP to that MAC address, there by making it “Static” same IP every time.