MY Book Live 2TB stuck at yellow light blinking

My Book Live 2TB stuck at blinking yellow light after power outrage and reboot. Any solution for this? 

The power outage disrupts the MBL. When the MBL restarts, it does an analysis of the entire drive. Depending on how much data you have on it, this can take a long time.  Sometimes 2 days.  You shouuld let the MBL run for a few days to see if it progresses from yellow light to green.  Yellow light means initializing.

If after a week of the MBL running and it is still yellow, then debrick it using a guide from this forum.  In this case, you can surmise that that the OS got currupted on the power outage.

1 Like

Thank you wdlive76. I’m very new to this debricking thing. So a l have numerous questions running through my mind.

1. Will i be able to recover my data
  2. My hard disk is still usable?
  3. How do I reinstall my corrupted OS.

Thanks and regards,

EeebZ wrote:
Thank you wdlive76. I’m very new to this debricking thing. So a l have numerous questions running through my mind.

1. Will i be able to recover my data
  2. My hard disk is still usable?
  3. How do I reinstall my corrupted OS.

Thanks and regards,

1. you will not lose your data

2. Your disk should be still usable - unless something else happened to it also

3. The debrick process will reinstall the OS.

1 Like

My MBL is in steady yellow light mode. I will wait for one week then decide how to proceed. Thanks for your guide, wdlive76.

If a simple power outage can disturb MBL so easily, i will say this product is so unreliable. Can any one suggest alternative brand which do not have this issue?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Any device with a hard drive will suffer same faith. The way to avoid it? A  UPS or proper backups.

Or build/buy a NAS/Server with dual power supplies. Very expensive though…

Do you think I will ba able to recover data if I remove the hard disk from MBL(now continuous blue light) and insert it into a new Cloud Ex2?

EeebZ wrote:
Do you think I will ba able to recover data if I remove the hard disk from MBL(now continuous blue light) and insert it into a new Cloud Ex2?

No

Stick to the instructions already laid out for you. Debrick.  You are going to have to do some work about fixing this. You are going to have to learn about the drive, about how to use basic Linux commands, and a few other things.

I’m using Usb/Sata adapter to connect to the 2T hard disk. Linux Reader can’'t read the data partition with error message " Can’t open disk: NT_Mapped_File G at end". R_Linux Reader also displays error messages.

In this situation, what is a good way to proceed?

Can you read any of the partitiions?  Is it all of the partitiions or just the data partitiion you are having trouble with?  If only the data partitition, then it looks like the structure has become corrupt - which means data is lost and time for a new drive.  If you are having trouble with all the partitions, then perhaps you are doing something not quite right with the process.

Linux Reader can’'t read only the data partation. Currently I’m recovering my files using R_Linux Reader. Is it time to change a new harddisk?

EeebZ wrote:

Linux Reader can’'t read only the data partation. Currently I’m recovering my files using R_Linux Reader. Is it time to change a new harddisk?

It sound like your data partition is corrupted. That’s awful. Hopefully you can recover as much of your files as possible.  If you get all your files off, and you want to use the disk again, you can reformat the data partition, then transfer your files back.  Reformating isn’t that hard, but it does require a small amount of Linux knowledge. Basically that you select the correct partition for formating.    You should format it ext3. You would need to boot up a Linux CD or USB on to your PC, then use gparted

Unfortunately you have run into one of the dangers of using a single drive MBL, that if the data partition gets messed you, you have a big problem.  That’s why the MBLD is a better solution as it mirrors the disks.  Anyways, you can always turn your MBL into a mirrored solution by adding another MBL to your network and then rsync them. 

To avoid the power outage sitution that can corrupt your MBL data partition, try using a UPS.

You might take this opportunity to upgrade your MBL to a 4TB drive by purchasing a blank disk and setting it up for your MBL. 

Thanks for reply. I also have one MBLD. Now I’m thinking to use the disk from MBL in MBLD and the disk from MBLD in MBL. My thinking is that MBL disk aldy has bad sectors and should not work alone. So I will put it in MBLD. Disk from MBLD is releatively quite new. So I will use it in MBL. Pls let me know how to do it.

You couuld do that, but first you would need do some actions on the disks first.  The reason being that the MBL and MBLD disks each have a slightly different operating system - obviously as they are set up for different hardware.  If you wipe the MBL disk (assuming it is the same size as your MBLD disk), then you can drop it into the MBLD. By wipe, i mean remove everything - all the partitions.  

For the MBLD disk you are moving, then you would need to reinstall the firmware for a MBL onto it. You can use a debrick guide to do that.

They are the same size. Wiping means I need to format the MBL disk? What file system should I use? NTFS or Ext3?

for teh disk you are putting into the MBLD, it must have no partitions and be formated ext3.

For the disk you are putting in the MBL, you need to just reinstall the OS on the correct partition