My Book Duo - Recovering files after enclosure failure

Hi, I’ve had a My Book Duo (not Live and not newest version) for a few years, in a RAID configuration to protect my data. There’s years worth of work on there, but now the enclosure has failed, it just shows 3 red lights and can’t be accessed. Hopefully one or both of the drives are still OK, but when I put them in a (not WD) external enclosure, windows wants to initialize the drives, which will delete the data. How can I access my data and copy it to somewhere safe?

Hi dantastic,

My Book Duo is shipped with enabled hardware encryption and the encryption is always turned on and cannot be configured.

If the My Book Duo enclosure fails, replace the My Book Duo enclosure. Make sure that the My Book Duo firmware is the most recent, the move the HDDs in the replacement enclosure of the My Book Duo. The data should be available without any other configuration.

I have this same issue. But, I bought a My Cloud EX2 Ultra and the old My Book Live Duo Raid 1 drives are not recognized.

Please help

Thomas in support said that cross product enclosure swaps won’t work. So, if anyone has a legacy product they are out of luck if the enclosure fails.

Hi Brandon,
I have Model # WDBLWE0040JCH-NESN, MY BOOK DUO 4 TB Charcoal PAN-AM and the enclosure failed. I purchased in 2019. I purchased another one of the same model and switched out the discs. my drives are recognized, but the display asks for a password for the discs and I never had a password on it. I can’t figure out why? Any suggestions would be welcome. I have not used this on any other computer, and I am a programmer used to managing passwords, so I know that if I put a password on there, I would have recorded it in my PW database. Any thoughts?

I’m guessing that there is an encryption key on the bridge PCB. If so, then you would need to move the memory chip from the patient to the donor.

Could we see a photo of the bridge PCB?

U4 would be the IC whose contents I would move to the donor. If there is an encryption key on the PCB, that’s where it would be. U5 is associated with the 4-port USB hub, so it would be an unlikely candidate.

If the symptom is that only one of the two drives spins up, I would suspect U8 or U9. These are the dual MOSFET power switches for each of the drives. These can be bypassed, presumably by installing links at R122, R123, R124, R125.

This thread has more info:

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36609