My Book Duo (old style) enclosure dead, unable to access files

Hello there,

I have a huge problem as my (old style) My Book Duo enclosure died. It is 100 percent sure, that the Enclosure itself is dead but the drives (as well as the power supply) are ok.

I took the two drives (which were configured as a Mirror/Raid1) out of the (dead) enclosure and tried to access their files. to my very surprise, although the drives are reported as totally healthy, that is not possible. I contacted WD support for this issue and (so far) that did not help much but one tip: I would be able to access the data if I find the very same hardware model of the My Book Duo (the old grey rounded version) and put my drives in.

I was lucky to find a (used and working) replacement enclosure of the same hardware version as my old&dead My Book Duo. I put my drives in, they are reported as perfectly healthy by “WD Drive Utilities” but I am still not able to access the data.

WD Drive Utilites reports that the Raid1 is broken and data can not be accessed… if I only insert 1 drive, WD Utilities goes into JBOD mode and demands a password… (!?) the drives never had a password that I put in. I used the drives(+old enclosure) for years in the same configuration on multiple machines and never faced anything like a password issue.

If I put 1 of my old drives in, plus 1 freshly formated drive (which I hoped would initiate a raid1 re-build) nothing happens. At least nothing that I subject to be a re-build. The front LEDs show blinking red, nor the “re-build” button in WD Drive Utilities" shows up.

Is anybody in this forum who ran into the same issue, or has tips on how to access the data on these perfectly healthy drives?

Thanks a million.
C

Hi,

Western Digital has determined that some My Book Live devices are being compromised by malicious software. In some cases, this compromise has led to a factory reset that appears to erase all data on the device.

We understand that our customers’ data is very important. At this time, we recommend you disconnect your My Book Live from the Internet to protect your data on the device. Our engineering teams are actively investigating this issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Please see the following article to learn more about disabling remote access to your My Book Live:

How to Disable Remote Access to a My Book Live or Duo: My Book Live & My Book Live Duo: Disable Remote Access

For more information, please see the following Security Bulletin:

Recommended Security Measures for WD My Book Live and WD My Book Live Duo: WDC-21008 Recommended Security Measures for WD My Book Live and WD My Book Live Duo | Western Digital