MKV are invisible direct from my PC Windows 7

Hello,

I have a problem with .MKV and .SRT files. 

When I read it from the hard drive of the Wd Tv Live Hub, there is no problem.

But when I want to play it from my PC (windows 7 64bits) via Media Server, my WD Tv Live Hub doesn’t “see” the .MKV files. No problem with .AVI or .MP4, they are visible and can read it, but .MKV are totally INVISIBLE.

Any solutions ?

Thx a lot.

Nikuland

Wd Tv Live Hub, latest Firmware, plug to Freebox V5, PC connect with WIFI to the Freebox V5

The videos that can be seen and played through Windows 7 Media Server are the videos added to the Windows Media Player videos library. Since MKV is not officially supported by windows media player, you will notice that when you add the MKV to the library it will be added in the others media instead of the videos library. That’s why you can’t see the MKVs in the media server.

What you need to do is to make the MKV compatible with the windows media player videos library. The method to do it that worked for me is detailed in this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-sound/adding-mkv-files-to-the-windows-media-player/c867bdea-9674-4f0b-b56f-7650920f14a1

Thx à lot for your quick answer ! I’ll try this tonight and Get BACK to you !

Hey !

So it works ! I can’t see the mkv and read it ! Thx a lot for your solution ! 

Second problem… : For some reasons, some video .mov or .mp4, that I did (export from Premiere H264 .mp4 or .mov) are visible, but when I want to read it, there is some lag and sound pb… 

Any solutions ?

arg ! The .srt or .sub are not working direct from the PC, only on the WD hard drive… Same pb I imagine… Windows Media doest not read it… A solution ?

nikuland wrote:

So it works ! I can’t see the mkv and read it ! Thx a lot for your solution ! 

I thought it works, why still “can’t”? Maybe you mean you “can” see.

I think subtitles are not compatible with Windows Media Server so if subtitles are really important, just use the network share or try another media server that has subtitle capabilities. With regards to the .mov and .mp4, usually in my case lags and sound problem happens when the network is slow. If the network speed is not the problem, I really don’t know what is.

Thx à lot for your answer !!

Hey ! Sorry to bother you again, but do you know any other media server ?

Why not connect to your PC as a windows share instead of a media server? Should access subtitles fine that way.

-P

nikuland wrote:

Hey ! Sorry to bother you again, but do you know any other media server ?

Thx for your answer…

When I want to use share, WD ask me an ID and a PAss… Can’t find it… I have no password on my PC…

Then don’t answer the prompt…   just proceed past the login screen. 

If it then comes back and says Invalid User ID or Password, then your PC does have password protection enabled.

It did say Invalid User Or Password, but I assure you when I logg my PC, I have no password… 

I should have been more clear and said 

I said you have password protected SHARING enabled.   

Go to “ADVANCED SHARING SETTINGS” in your PC configuration and turn it off there.

Thx ! It works, I can see video in the Sharing mode… But… MKV are invisible in this mode… PFFFFFFFF

Anyway Thx for all your help guys, it’s awesome !

nikuland wrote:

Thx ! It works, I can see video in the Sharing mode… But… MKV are invisible in this mode… PFFFFFFFF

Anyway Thx for all your help guys, it’s awesome !

Are you saying that you still can’t see your MKV files?

Yes… They all are in a folder and it tells me that there is no multimedia files in the folder… INVISIBLE (only in share mode)

But I’m looking solution in a different way. Sharing mode is slow, I think.

I try with another media server like Twonky or Tiversity… But it’s not easy to configure…

OK

I got a one shot solution :  http://twonky.com/

It works perfectly and very easily, for all type of files, MKV, SRT, MP4, MOV, big size, small size ! 

AWESOME

Thx to every one for your help !

NIku