MBL dead after update

Hi,

i bought today  MBL TB2. Works fine. Then i tried to update to newest software via dashboard. After downloading the file system starts updating but currently lost connection with error (sorry i cant remember exact error code). PC lost connection to Dashboard.

30 minutes later  - the MBL did not come back - i powered on/off. Sytem went from blue to yellow (front led).

And thats it.

Is there any way to reconnect to the MBL?

Thx

Moritz

If you don’t have data on it, you could try doing a full factory reset.  if it comes back up, I wouldn’t try to do another firmware update through the dashboard.  if you really need to do an update, download the file and do a manual update.

Wayne, the update had bricked the drive.

bugfix, I think the best thing to do is let WDTony know that you’ve just purchased a brand new MBL, updated the firmware and the update bricked it then arrange with W.D. support to have an R.M.A. arranges.  Tony would love to get his hands on a brand new MBL where a firmware update has bricked the MBL so he can get his development team take it apart and find out why your MBL’s got bricked.

Hi Myron,

i was afraid that at the end it will be an RMA. Currently i opened a case with WD Support germany. Due to weekend i am awaiting response on monday. Is there a chance to directly get in contact with WDTony?

bugfix

Hi Wayne,

there is little data on the disk (test music, pictrues, videos). But it would be no problem to erase everything. I was just initial transfering my folders. I have a copy of every file on my windows server.

How can i do a full factory reset without network? The MBL has not got an IP in the current state.

I already opened a case with WD Support germany (as told by myron).

bugfix

Yep. Send him a private message via this forum (spot the envelope on the forum’s web page) to WDTony but I think he’ll tell you the same. Quite possibly he might be intereste dto get his hands on your MyBook Live to get their development tream to do some forensics to find out why your MBL’s got bricked by the firmware update?

Ask him.

Also…  Which get be to frown…  If the Daahboard UI screws up so you can’t access it anymore then you can not access the factory restore options which could possibly get the Dashboard UI back-up-and-working.

Whoever designed the way the Dashboard UI works and how the reset button works needs to be sacked.  Especially removing any form of secondary access to the MBL.  Like a 9-pin serial port to be able to connect a computer to a serial terminal to access the NAS’s Linux operating system should the networking component breaks down and also with SSH access is disabled by default.  That is just stupid.

I have SSH enabled and this means if the Dashboard UI dies on my MyBook Live I can at least execute programs and stuff to try fix the problem and can use SFTP to put back files that may have got screwed up.

Thatt reminds me.  I need to back-up everything under /var/www and also back-up key configuration files under /etc and whever else.  Just in case I find myself with a bricked Web Dashboard UI or worse still a bricked drive.

For updates I don’t use the Dashboard UI now.  I manually copy the firmware file onto the MyBook Live and invoke the script that starts the update manually.  I have a feeling there is something within the Dashboard UI that screws up the update.

Why?  Something unrelated I noticed.  Was changing permissions on shares.  Dashboard UI crapped out with a time out error but the scripts that were doing all the changes were still working.

That’s my tuppence worth.

Hi everybody,

today the drive was replaced by the local dealer.

WD support told me to first ask the dealer because WD has no drives in stock (Germany) :-(

And there is no way to bring the drive up again!

bugfix

I got MBL 3 TB 10 days ago as an upgrade to my home network.  The first thing being told during installation was that there was a firmware update.  The message looked like a mandatory buyfixing action.  

Initially I had hesitation to do such an update before anything else.  But I couldn’t add user, enable remote access, add shares…  In a nutshell, nothing I could do except navigating and exit.

I tried it on IE 8 and 9 on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium and Mac OS X 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 Lion on Macbook Pro and Macbook Air.  They all gave me the same resuit.  

I called WD Technical Support from Sydney, but they asked me to call again between 8 AM - 10 AM Sydney Time because the escalated Technical Support would be at San Francisco.  The 8-10 AM window has never been possible to me.

So, I re-insert the DVD and hit the OK button for the firmware update when it prompts.  Then the Web UI gave me a blank sheet.  The only thing I could access to was Public.  Yesterday I squeezed sometime earlier to go to JB HiFi and negotiated for a replacement under warranty but no stock on hand.  I’ll try another store today.

My question is:  What steps should I do after I get the replacement drive?  (I think I need to ignore the firmware upgrade, and to enable the SSH.)  What else and what is the proper sequence?

IvanH wrote:

I got MBL 3 TB 10 days ago as an upgrade to my home network.  The first thing being told during installation was that there was a firmware update.  The message looked like a mandatory buyfixing action.  

Initially I had hesitation to do such an update before anything else.  But I couldn’t add user, enable remote access, add shares…  In a nutshell, nothing I could do except navigating and exit.

I tried it on IE 8 and 9 on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium and Mac OS X 10.7.1 and 10.7.2 Lion on Macbook Pro and Macbook Air.  They all gave me the same resuit.  

I called WD Technical Support from Sydney, but they asked me to call again between 8 AM - 10 AM Sydney Time because the escalated Technical Support would be at San Francisco.  The 8-10 AM window has never been possible to me.

So, I re-insert the DVD and hit the OK button for the firmware update when it prompts.  Then the Web UI gave me a blank sheet.  The only thing I could access to was Public.  Yesterday I squeezed sometime earlier to go to JB HiFi and negotiated for a replacement under warranty but no stock on hand.  I’ll try another store today.

My question is:  What steps should I do after I get the replacement drive?  (I think I need to ignore the firmware upgrade, and to enable the SSH.)  What else and what is the proper sequence?

You could also download the firmware and do a manual update.  And you should do the updated.  However, if this is how the drive is behaving out of the box, I would return it, and get one that works.  This one may have sustained some damage, somehow. 

Thanks Bill.

My replaced MBL is working now.  The key problem was automatic update!  My replaced MBL is found to be version 1.x but when I was prompted “Firmware available for update”, that Firmware was for 2.x and ignored the current version on my device.  

So, the solution is to find the appropriate update from version 1.x to latest 2.x.  (Knowledge base 5735).  Do it manually.

See  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyMzkyNjUzNy9zaWQvT1duMzVETGs%3D

1 Like

Excellent.  This could help others if they find themselves in the same situation.

IvanH wrote:

Thanks Bill.

My replaced MBL is working now.  The key problem was automatic update!  My replaced MBL is found to be version 1.x but when I was prompted “Firmware available for update”, that Firmware was for 2.x and ignored the current version on my device.  

So, the solution is to find the appropriate update from version 1.x to latest 2.x.  (Knowledge base 5735).  Do it manually.

See  http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyMzkyNjUzNy9zaWQvT1duMzVETGs%3D

Yes, if you were on a 1.05 or 06 or 03, you had to update to 1.07 first (or, the very last of the 1.x FW), and from there you could update to 2.x .  You think the auto update would recognize that and implement a 2-stage FW update, or have a package for getting an older machine, mayb that’s been on a retail shelf for a while, from 1.03 up to the current FW.

That’s true.  But in this case, there was probably a reason they didn’t attempt to implement that.  Unfortunately, I don’t know the details. 

The link I was given by the Technical Support, as found in my previous post, was a one-pass update and upgrade.  It allowed me to download and upgrade from 1.x directly to the current one (Update Manually - Software Release 1.X).

I think WD should inform the dealers.  I heard from the store that I was not the first one to bring the device back for a replacement.  It’s very costly to an end-user like me, the dealer, and WD as well.

From where can I download the 01.05.07 firmware update?  It does not seem to be available on the page referenced from within this discussion thread?

Myron,

I checked on the pages and found that only “current” firmware update was there.  Perhaps you may call Technical Support and ask them to give you a link.  

So, is it still a two step upgrade from v01.XX.XX to v2 or is is now a one step upgrade?  I’m reading things that is suggesting that a direct upgrade to v02.10.09-124 without going to v01.05.07 first is the reason for MBL’s getting bricked. Quite possible why my MBL is not bricked because I’ve not skipped any updates?

do you know if we can get the download for 1.05.07, to do the step, first?

I honestly don’t know.

Hi Myron,

From my experience, it’s a one-step upgrade from v 1.x to current.  It’ll say “updating…” then “upgrading…”.  It’s fast.