Lost share RECOVERY TIP

I had my shares all disappear after a firmware upgrade. I followed the steps at Error and other places. It didn’t work. Even in SSH, no shares were there. They all left out a step.

Well, if you’ve encrypted your data you will not see any shares even through SSH. You have to first go through the web app to Storage>Volume Encryption and MOUNT the volume. After this the shares will all show back up.

Why WD didn’t bother to carry the automount encrypted volume setting through the firmware upgrade is beyond me. I don’t know how many people rewrote over all their data because of this dumb problem. I signed up for this 1990s nightmare of a website just to put this out there, which is more effort than WD went through to help this problem.

I hope this helps somebody.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this.

Are there any other tips or solutions. We just had all of our data and shares disappear with 4 red lights on the drives but after logging in the drives say the are all healthy. can’t find this doc and would like better instructions on the system restore.

Thank you,

Chris

Also wanted to add that in shares it tells me there isn’t a volume there anymore.

If you’re running encrypted volumes and the Automount Encrypted Volume feature didn’t work, the mycloud will not see any shares until the volumes are mounted manually (because they’re encrypted). You should be able to access the Automount Encrypted Volume feature and manually mount encrypted volumes somewhere under the storage tab, depending on which version of the firmware you’re running.

The Automount Encrypted Volume feature does not always work and sometimes gets turned off randomly or after an upgrade.

If that’s the problem you’ll be good to go and nothing was lost so there’s nothing to recover.

Good luck!

I’d also suggest running a check on the SMART data to see if there’s anything odd looking on one of the drives. The firmware on the Mycloud is dodgy enough I wouldn’t be surprised if it thew up a bunch of red lights for nothing, but it doesn’t hurt to check deeper. Hard drives are pretty cheap and data is precious so it doesn’t make a lot of sense to run with any that aren’t working at their best.

I just saw these alarms. Looks someone pulled a hard drive and put it back in. is there any chance the data is recoverable?

Assuming you have a redundant raid set up, pulling one hard drive will not cause any data loss. If you put the hard drive back it should resolve itself. If you put a new drive in, it should rebuild itself. If your volumes have disappeared I suspect it’s because you have encryption enabled and when the drive was pulled the encrypted volume was unmounted. Since the encrypted volume is not mounted, the device cannot see that there are any shares. Try to remount encrypted volumes and you should be fine.

Unless you’re not running encrypted volumes, in when case I don’t know what’s going on with your device. Since this thread is about devices running encryption, I’m going to assume you are using encrypted volumes.