Link to share (email) My Cloud folder to someone outside of my local network?

I want to email a link to a friend so she can get files from a certain folder stored on my My Cloud.  In the WD My Cloud desktop application, I selected the folder, and then clicked “Email” from the menu.  Unfortunately, that “email” command opens Microsoft Outlook on my computer - a program that I have not set up because I use gmail through web browser, and never outlook.  

How can I find out what the link to the folder is, without setting up Outlook on my computer?  I just want to know that link and paste it into my gmail message.

Thanks.

Hello,

Take a look at this link. Hope it helps.

https://support.google.com/toolbar/answer/34800?hl=en

When you clicked on the folder>email and it opened in Outlook you should have been able to see the link. Highlight it and copy to paste into your gmail.

If you want to try and make gmail your default click on the following link for more information.

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/et_default_prog.htm

If you download the new WD My Cloud app, we have the “Copy Link” feature for folders/files.

The app could be downloaded at:

http://setup.wd2go.com/?mod=download&device=mc

The problem I am having is that the links don’t work. Even if I create a new public share the links don’t work. Any ideas? This is a vital feature.

See a prior post I made in another discussion. Use the link below.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/How-to-share-a-folder-of-photos-with-someone-who-doesn-t-have/m-p/686141#M8212

The email link should work. It seems to have a problem with link not working with selected routers that do not have a loop back feature.

If you work on LAN, you could substitute the dns/port number with your NAS’ IP address.

If you are on WAN, the link should work.

Please forgive my ignorance - I don’t know anything about routers or networks, but I do know my links don’t work. 

My current router is a D-link 615 wireless N router. 

I have a mac - OSX 10.9.2.  

I tried to figure out how to open up my port 80 but I don’t have Mcafee software - so that screen shot doesn’t help. 

I don’t know what “work on LAN” means, or how I would subsittute my DNS/port with the NAS IP? (that is foreign language to me - a professional with a doctorate degree).  

Can someone please help.  I can follow directions if explained well. 

Thank you in advance for anyone that can help me 

JD

Hi,

I also bought this product one week ago and I cannot share links by mail properly because these links don’t work at all!

You talked about the firewall configuration and the fact that the port 80 must be opened but I don’t see exactly what firewall you talk about. Actually the only firewall I have is the wondows one installed on my PC. I don’t have any appliance dedicated for that.

The port 80 is opened on my router for remote connections and I don’t see what I have to do in order to make these links works.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Antoine

Hi all, 

I’m amazed the poor support WD is giving regarding this aspect, also none of the answers so far seems satisfactory. I’m a proud owner of a WD My Cloud but you got to have a bit of knowledge to do certain stuff, unfortunately. But, fortunately for you I’m willing to give some guidelines here :slight_smile:

First of all, it depends how your network is configured and how is your device attached to the network. The ISP router plays a main role here because it is the link between the LAN (the inside) and the WAN (the outside).

Now, asume you have some computers and mobile devices attached to the network, add the NAS storage to the mix. The router will be sending some notes to all devices to let them know which address to use so communication can be sent between devices and from router to devices and viceversa. That said, all devices know which is the gateway (router) to connect to the outside and (through a special protocol) router can identify where is each device. However, a simple link that can be accessed through the browser may not have much knowledge about protocols, it just have an address, some location path and some parameters. When you click that link from the outside, it reaches the router through a specific public address (this is unique through the whole internet), but router may not know which device that request was intented to (some will be a bit more smart and know where to send the request), it just knows that request comes to the standard web port (which is 80) but it doesn’t which device should respond. Also it may happen that port 80 is disabled by default.

The good news is we now have an idea of the problem, bad news is you have to go and configure the router manually probably and this can vary a lot from router to router (asuming you have access to the router, if not contact your ISP). There is a strategy called port forwarding (usually through a protocol called NAT(Network Address Translation)), which basically allows you to any incomming request to the router to a specific port to be forwarded to a specific device address.

So first we will need to figure out which address is the wdmycloud on, for this just go to Settings → Network in the NAS web interface and it should give you the IP address, this should be pretty straightforward. You may also find this in your router DHCP register (if you have access to it)

Now (and this will be probably the trickiest part) is to configure the router. It is usually in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 if using IPv4. Try accesing that through a browser (also try through port 8080) and see if it opens a web interfece if not you need to consult your router’s manual. Once you login look for some place where you can set NAT settings or some port forwarding configuration (again consult your manual if any doubt). You should look to an interface where you can configure the following

Protocol Start Port End Port Local IP Address Start Port(Local) End Port(Local)

Protocol: Can be TCP and UDP, select both if possible

Start Port: 80 - this will be the start port we want to intercept

End Port: 80 - this will be the end port in the port range we want to intercept, we just need 80 here

Local IP Address: 192.168.1.15 - This will be the NAS address you found.

Start Port (Local): 80 - we want to forward to the same port in the NAS

End Port (Local): 80 - again let’s only listen on 80

Save and that should be it. You should be able to access your NAS from outside on standard web port 80. If still have problems after doing this, check the firewall settings in the router, make sure it’s open for port 80

how do i do this?

Reply to: roundabout,

First open up the My Cloud app and find what you want to email. See image below.

After clicking on Email your default email should open up and show the link to the folder, file, image, video etc. that you want to send. Send it as you would send any other email.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

I also had to forward port 443. same instructions as above, but add another line with 443 instead of 80. One line with four 80s, and one line with four 443s. Set ‘type’ to ‘both’ and make sure the ip address is for your mycloud device. Works great now. Thanks.

If someone asks why the 443 port instead of the 80, that is because the 443 port is used for internet sharing of files.

The 80 port is the port of web browsing (the MyCloud web interface/web page)

Make sure you are not trying to download them from within your LAN.  the links only work when you are OUTSIDE the LAN that the device is on.