LAN speed test

WAN world area net work
LAN local area network

Wifi from your router to your device without a cable. Like in wifi :slight_smile:

Why would the router you are using mean very little to those trying to help? Quite the opposite.

Reason being, we have identified the router as part of the issue already and it will be changed.

So hence questions like someone with the fastest router in the world over LAN no cables what can you achieve max

Todate it is I think 70 megs something on LAN over wifi so very slow mo indeed.

Cannot remember the persons name, but thank you again for posting.

Bennor you had 25 megs something on laptop with a special card.

For me I using MacBook Pro iPad Pro so if I spend 250 dollars I probably gauge say 30 to 40 read write on the IOS side maybe able to push a tad more on the laptop maybe.

Do tell me more if you would about 100Mbps = 12.5 mbs as I am very interested how this is worked out.

A question that comes to mind I can download 20 megs easy router over WAN

On LAN it grinds to about 3.5 megs why anyone fancy a go at answering please do.

Thank you

100mbp/s is is 100 mega bits per second. 12.5 MB/s is 12.5 mega bytes per second. A byte is 8 bits. Depending if sync or async each byte has a start bit and a stop bit making it 10 bits per byte. Async means that each byte has 10 bits. Sync means that once the device is in sync then each byte is 8 bits.
I not sure if the router uses sync or async. But we normally say that 12.5MB/ is 12.5 8 bit bytes.
You keep talking about WAN and LAN. Are you saying that you are accessing your My Cloud from outside your house?

Hi RAC,

That makes sense cool understanding.
Re wan and lan, often people quote me speeds etc then when I dig a little deeper.

They referring to speed tests from their service provider to me WAN.

I’m just interested in local area as in my home.

Hope that makes sense ?

Ps out of interest last year in Austria in a mountain area middle of no where.

I uploaded to youtube 300 megs in 1.5 mins wow wonder how long to back up to the WD in my home.

It down load at 20 megs, anyway it was quite quick to back up video over WAN.

The upgrade WiFi adapter I use on the laptop is by Edimax (https://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_adapters_ac1200_dual-band/ew-7822ulc/). Bought it on sale on Amazon (flash deal).

The main problem with that adapter, or any adapter that uses USB to transfer data, is one is limited to the max speed of the USB port. In my case USB 2.0. And if that USB port pipeline is shared by other USB devices (on USB ports) on that same computer, that can curtail the transfer speed.

User rac8006 already covered the technical explanation of the difference between Mbps and MB/s (Megabits and Megabytes). There are even online calculators (like this one) that one can plug numbers into to get a conversion between Mbps and MB/s. Knowing this difference is important when one is looking at the technical specifications of networking hardware. Sometimes manufacturers (or their marketing departments) will use Mbps because it shows a larger number. Sometimes they mistakenly use the Mbps and MB/s interchangeably. So people get confused between the Mbps numbers and the MB/s numbers.

Now for my somewhat long winded opinion. Most broadband providers advertise their “max” speeds, users however tend not to hit those max speeds all the time. Keep in mind that while you may have a 20Mbps broadband plan that would only equal a 2.5MB/s plan. When downloading from the Internet (or WAN) there are many factors that impact the speed of the data transfer. First of which is the speed the site you are accessing is using. They may not have a 20Mbps upload. It might be 10Mbps or it might be 50Mbps. You just typically don’t know. Second, most times one is sharing (at some point) that 20Mbps broadband speed with your neighbors or fellow broadband users. So your speed could be impacted by Billy next door playing an online game or who is downloading large files. Third, you have all sorts of network equipment (routers, switches, hubs, etc.) between your network router and the website you are accessing. Each of those devices are typically dealing with hundreds (thousands/millions) of other users network requests/traffic so each device could impact your download speed.

One should also understand that one’s network speed is further limited by the device both My Cloud and iPad itself. While the specifications of the iPad WiFi may claim a certain speed it is possible other hardware on the iPad reduces/limits that speed. Same with the My Cloud. the My Cloud has a Gigabit networking port but that doesn’t mean the My Cloud is capable of 1000Mbps. The transfer rate of the hard drive can limit the overall read/write speed. Any additional processes the My Cloud processor is engaged in can impact speed. And the general limit of the bus speed of both the iPad and My Cloud can impact transfer speed.

Like said previoulsy, lots of things can impact the transfer speed. It is sometimes hard to track down a specific cause, in your case it’s easy, the router. And trying to compare someone else’s WiFi speed to yours is an apples to oranges comparison for many of the previously described reasons - variations in network hardware used.

Another thing to know is that data is transferred in 1500 byte packets
 The packet goes at the max speed of the link. Due to control bytes in the packet your data is less than 1500 bytes. There is whats called turn around. When the packet is sent the device waits for an acknowledgement from receiver. This turn around time can be equal to or greater than the time it took to sent the packet. Think of these packets like cars on the freeway. There is a space between the cars. Let say that the freeway could handle 1000 cars a minute. If the space between the cars is equal to one car length then only 500 cars would pass in a minute.
On your network you could send 500 packets. But is a neighbor is also sending data you are now down to 250 packets. Add another neighbor and it goes down even more.
Add this to the things Bennor mentioned and you may get even less. It is difficult to get consistent times.
Another thing to know is that windows and I assume mac’s are sending requests to all of the devices on the local network. Like snmp, arp, igmp, udp, tls, tcp and dns requests. All of these use up some of your network bandwidth.

Hi RAC,

Yes makes sense packets, this maybe of interest to you, slightly off the script.

Listen to What is 5G? from TechStuff in Podcasts. ‎TechStuff: What is 5G? on Apple Podcasts

@anon59787009 You can check out definitions such as WAN using this link.

Yep ran speed test past ten years with I think 3 different providers.
Using current router etc average is 15 Megs download upload 1.1 megs.

LAN averge 3/ 4 megs read write maybe 9 megs using laptop.

Local wifi in hospital average 36 down load upload 58 megs.

Bennor You spoken I think about faster internet provider (which we cannot have in location) how would a faster internet provider speed up LAN ?

I believe what I stated what asking your internet provider to upgrade your Sky Hub to the Sky Q Hub would potentially provide faster local network speed. This assumes your local network devices are Gigabit and WiFi AC capable.

Generally changing your router won’t improve your broadband/WAN speed unless you have a broadband plan where the broadband speed was above the capabilities of the router your broadband provider gave you (the customer).

Generally speed test sites like https://www.speedtest.net only test your broadband/WAN speed. Typically such sites do not measure your local network (LAN) speed.

Ok cheers Bennor, yes only interested in improving LAN speeds.

Once I decided upon a router I let you all know top speeds on laptop, iPad Pro with WD my cloud :slight_smile:

quick update I spoke to sky internet provider-

They said the sky Q hub was unsuitable for my needs based upon I not able to have fibre and Q box is mainly based upon TV which requires fibre.

However the lady who dealt with my call was more off script than most and listen.

World area net work I cannot increase in this area, hence local area network is my prime goal.

So I was sent a lesser Q hub router looks the same but not the one on their web site.
So I am AC and 5 GHz etc made a quick test using an iPad Pro using both routers.

Out come newer router reading around 8/9 megs what other areas can I do to increase read and write ?

Thank you

How are you determining your speed is “8/9 megs”? What program or software are you using to test for local network speed? Can you post a screen shot that shows the “8/9 megs”?

2.4 GHz router

New sky router not the sky q router, one before

ps I use file browser as it provides preview for raw images, I would have used WD app but it fails here it appears. (my Camera on the list of it should work)

If I were to repeat with WD app I do have a slightly faster speed.

apparently this router