Kdd process

While copying files (images) from iMac to Home Duo drive, the process hdd is very active and is using a very significant part of CPU capability. The process is identified as a WD process. What is it doing and why is it using so much capacity even after copying is finished?

KDD is the process that runs when you sign in to MyCloud.com via WD Discovery and the My Cloud Home network drive is mounted to the macOS. KDD will use CPU and Memory when accesing the MCH in Finder.

Thanks. But what is it doing and why does the process use so much CPU capacity? It effectively cripples the machine.

1 Like

I am also experiencing this issue. The KDD process consumes 93% of the cpu (4.2 GHz Intel Core i7) and fails regularly when uploading files less than a gig. I am uploading wirelessly on the same network as the device. Any guidance on how to fix this would be great. Thanks in advance.

Additionally I have noticed that when I drag and drop files from my local machine to the mycloud.com dashboard the KDD process consumes 0.2% of the CPU processing power. This issue seems to only occur when dragging files from one finder window to another. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the WD Discovery helper app, however the results are the same. The finder transfer stalls out and the upload fails. Could it have something to do with an APFS/SMB transfer issue?

1 Like

WD Staff. Could you answer my question?

@Lydnian I would recommend opening a case with Tech Support with make, model, OS, WD Discovery and Desktop App version, how many KDD processes are running, how many folders are activated for Desktop Sync, or if Sync is not used at all, content type (IE: documents, RAW images, CAD files, etcā€¦)
https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

I also suffer this as well. CPU reaches 300%, and the file transfer fails. KDD must be killed and restarted, and the transfer restarted. Seems to particularly sensitive to certain folders / files (can transfer multi-gb of one folder / files, but failed on only 100mb of another).

Itā€™s extremely frustrating - it has taken my days to transfer the content of my old drive to My Cloud Home drive.

I have the same problem, and Iā€™ve not even enabled synching. It is really sapping the system (My Home Duo; Mac desktop). Before I decide that Iā€™ve wasted Ā£250, could WD perhaps suggest how to manage this issue?
MAK

This is a great tip! Yes, I logged into mycloud.com and dragged the files over from Finder and it was super fast in uploading the files. Thanks! I donā€™t know why the Finder to Finder window doesnā€™t work but Iā€™m bypassing that altogether.

The term Knowledge Discovery in Databases, or KDD for short, refers to the broad process of finding knowledge in data, and emphasizes the ā€œhigh-levelā€ application of particular data mining methods. ā€¦ The unifying goal of the KDD process is to extract knowledge from data in the context of large databases.

I have exactly this problem. This seems to be an issue that has lasted several months.

same problem here - im going to retur it, if there is no fix for this

Hi, I seem to be having the same problem. I was noticed my battery drained like crazy and saw KDD using more than 600% CPU! I just killed it. But it seems like there are many clients waiting for WD to come up with a solution. The whole thing gives me way more trouble than I had hoped forā€¦

This is probably because instead of using the OSā€™s SMB support for network shares, one must use software i.e. ā€˜WD Discoveryā€™ to access private shares. Crazy.