iTunes server

I’ve had a MY Cloud for a few years now and never got the itunes server to work.

The mycloud manual is a bit vague when it comes to the itunes server,

What I want to achieve is multiple computers/devices playing music from a central location (the my cloud). With new music added to the centralised location instead of having multiple separate libraries.

Sometimes the My cloud option is available to me on iTunes and sometimes it isn’t. When it is, there is no music available despite having set a computer to locate it’s itunes library in the [Public>shared music] folder as well as a couple of MP3s located in the [Public>shared music] folder for testing purposes

What am I doing wrong?

What generation of My Cloud do you have? Is everything set up in the Dashboard?

Ensure you have copied over the entire iTunes Library folder from the PC/Mac to the My Cloud, then change the iTunes Library location setting to that of the new iTunes folder on the My Cloud… Just putting a few audio files in a folder on the My Cloud and pointing the iTunes Media Library to it may not be enough.

Also ensure you have enabled the iTunes option under the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Media > iTunes. Then ensure the Share where the entire iTunes library was copied to has Media Serving enabled for it within the My Cloud Dashboard > Shares section.

Re indexing iTunes within the Mycloud seems to have worked. Can I now use this to add music and playlists from two different computers?

How can a playlist be created to play form the My Cloud rather than being limited to playing songs either randomly or by their artist/genre? Thanks in advance.

When I move the Music-Folder (it is not Named iTunes Library Folder anymore) to the MyCloud and change in the TV or Music App the Folder - why the iTunes Server Settings in myCloud is still required? It would read the files directly anyway, isn’t ?

One should enable the iTunes option so all of ones iTunes client players can see and stream the media from the My Cloud.

iTunes on MacOS did not really exists anymore. There is the Music App and the TV App. I did not found any way, to connect them to the iTunes Server on the My Clound. Did I look wrong?

Apple Support (if you haven’t seen it) has a web page explaining what happened to iTunes.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210200

The following Apple Support document may also be relevant. One may have to “switch” to using the iTunes server (or itunes library location) on the My Cloud.

Yes, you can switch by pressing Option and you can try to select a Library attached as remote Filesystem. But this usually did not work (TV App notice that and deny access). And again, for that, an iTunes Server would be not required. The actual way would be, to add the iTunes Server to Home Sharing, but seems there is no way to do it. Apple TV at least did not notice the Library on the WD My Cloud, neither for Music nor for TV Shows.

Have you tried contacting Apple Support to ask them how you can map or connect a network attached storage device like the My Cloud to an Apple TV? Seems like it’s their issue since they changed their Apple ecosystem (again).