ISO format

It appears that this media player cannot play ISO format.  Talk about a paper weight.  I think I’m going to throw it in the street and run it over before going and getting a real media player. [Deleted]

What made you think it would?

eskion wrote:

It appears that this media player cannot play ISO format.  Talk about a paper weight.  I think I’m going to throw it in the street and run it over before going and getting a real media player.  Piece of **bleep**…

Some of us tried to warn you and others here before they purchased.  Thanks for confirming our earlier inferences that the Play is basically a lobotomized WD media player.  Sorry it happened to you.

I bought it because I saw “WD Live” and I currently own a WD Live Plus and I am thrilled with it.  I wanted one in my living room upstairs and one in the basement and thought it would have the same functionality of the Live Plus.

I admit it was my mistake for not looking into this specific model, but I didn’t expect WD to rape the Play.  Unfortunately since I purchased it from newegg, I’m not sure if I can return it, but oh well.

Warning to all, do not buy this paper weight!!!

I have bought plenty from Newegg, and they have given me full refunds when I ask, and here’s a tip: call them on the phone, don’t mess with doing it via email.  Once you get the right person on the phone, you can plead your case in person much easier and get the decision made right away.  Also, if you play your cards right, you can get them to send you a post-paid label for return and no restocking fee – it’s all in how you approach the conversation.   Be extremely nice, don’t be anything else otherwise.  They deal with jerks demanding refunds all day long, so when someone nice calls, they perk up and can be quite helpful…

I handle ALL my Newegg returns via phone (I have had very few).  I love Newegg; they have treated me right!

Another idea, since you did not want to buy a full pop Live Streaming and you love your Plus (as I do mine) check our friends at eBay and buy a nicely cared for used one.  I did a few months ago and got it for around $60 with all original parts included in the well-kept original box…

eskion wrote:

Paper weight, my a**! If people bother to read the name properly and check out specs before buying it, there’s nothing stopping them from making a good choice. Not everyone needs ISO.

Techflaws wrote:

eskion wrote:

Paper weight, my a**! If people bother to read the name properly and check out specs before buying it, there’s nothing stopping them from making a good choice. Not everyone needs ISO.

Techflaws, agree that not everyone needs ISO, but relax a little.  IMO, the marketing hype for this new product is a bit “flawed” and misleading.  It’s pitched as “another” media player, but costs less, and people see that first.  I had a hunch that quite a few folks would feel “burned” by this purchase, but did not imagine it would occur so quickly. 

It’s pitched to play all one’s media files.  Well, mp3, mp4 and other media files are definitely actual media files that work with DLNA compliant gadgets.  Some people think that an ISO file is also a media file, but it is not – we know it is a disc image file, that COULD contain video media, or it could not.  ISO files are not DLNA compliant, so the new Play cannot play them as many of us know.  They require “something else” within a media player to play them, but not everyone sees that distinction perhaps until they get under the hood of media players.  I hope this new forum help folks get under the hood better.

I hope all our comments showing up in the new WDTV Play forum sends up red flags to people contemplating the purchase of a Play and realize the Play is a “different kind” of WD player and that they do their homework beforehand, not afterwards.  Prior to now, all new models of WDTV players have had more features than the previous ones – this one is different because it has less features.  It’s now a new dynamic to deal with. 

I agree that the specifications for the Play leave a lot to be desired when compared to the more feature-rich (and of course, more expensive) cousins.

However, it’s just silly when people vilify a product that doesn’t do what it was never intended to do, and blame the manufacturer instead of owning up to their own responsibility for failure to do simple research before buying.

It makes as much sense to me as someone saying “This cheap coffeepot doesn’t make hot chocolate like the more expensive model does!  The manufacturer ripped me off!”

Now, if WD documents that it DOES support ISO, and then people buy it expecting that function to then discover that it does not, well, that’s a whole different story.

I’m can speak about ISO File… i read the file support from italian manual and quote:

.iso (BD)/.mts/.m2t/.m2ts/
.m4t/.tp/.trp/.ts/.tts

Usually an ISO file contain the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder of a DVD… but i can’t understand, if Mpeg1 and Mpeg2 it’s not supported by WD TV Play the .ISO support it’s useless.

The standard Mpeg file for a DVD it’s a MPEG-PS… looked here, this is a DVD Build by me from a mkv file:

E:\DVDStyler_Project\dvd-out\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_0.VOB
Format                                   : MPEG-PS

I have try to put the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS on a .ISO file and it’s not played… at this point the .iso support it’s useless.

Otherwise i have try to use a FAT32 Pen Drive… FAT32 have 4GB file size limit and i have created a file .MDS and one file .I00 and one file .IO1 but it’s not supported, i can hope it’s been added this support for this type of image in future firwmare ?

DjDiabolik wrote:
I have try to put the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS on a .ISO file and it’s not played… at this point the .iso support it’s useless.

It’s not cause as you quoted yourself this refers to ISO (AVCHD) and ISO (BD) respectively.

DjDiabolik wrote:

Otherwise i have try to use a FAT32 Pen Drive… FAT32 have 4GB file size limit and i have created a file .MDS and one file .I00 and one file .IO1 but it’s not supported, i can hope it’s been added this support for this type of image in future firwmare ?

Also, if you say that ISO support is useless why would you need multipart ISO (I00, I01…) support? And what’s stopping you from formatting your USB stick to NTFS?

ISO is container as MKV as AVI as MOV.

What you need is to check out what codecs does it support.

Techflaws wrote:

Also, if you say that ISO support is useless why would you need multipart ISO (I00, I01…) support? And what’s stopping you from formatting your USB stick to NTFS?

I hope, in a future, obtain a firmware with fully supported all type of MPEG :slight_smile:
I thinks it’s better to use FAT32 for pen drive… or not ?

Play will never be upgraded to support mpeg2. FAT32 is limited to the files up to 4 Gb large. NTFS support larger than 4Gb files.

DjDiabolik wrote:
I thinks it’s better to use FAT32 for pen drive… or not ?

Better for what? It’s more compatible (although pretty much any system reads NTFS already) but for the purpose at hand NTFS is the way to go.

foetus wrote:
Play will never be upgraded to support mpeg2. FAT32 is limited to the files up to 4 Gb large. NTFS support larger than 4Gb files.

i know the limitation about FAT32… but FAT32 it’s little more faster respect NTFS and FAT32 sometime doesn’t need to secure remove ?

I want to know why ?? Why this WD TV Play it’s never support Mpeg2 file ?!?!!?! The OLDEST WD TV Live player support this whitout problems and this WD TV Play have a better hardware respect series TV Live series.

Why it’s not compatible for mpeg2 ??? Problems with license ??

mistake claiming that the first firmware for series WD TV Live series not support mpeg2 and this supports has been added only on latest firmware after some years from first release ???

*EDIT*

without any controversy obviously… but i can’t explain because this fantastic Media player can’t support mpeg2 in future firmware version :slight_smile:

Not the reason.  Ask yourself, why should the least expensive WD media player be able play ALL the formats the more expensive WD players can?   Answer: They shouldn’t; that is if WD wants to sell anymore of the more expensive players!

mike27oct wrote:

Not the reason.  Ask yourself, why should the least expensive WD media player be able play ALL the formats the more expensive WD players can?   Answer: They shouldn’t; that is if WD wants to sell anymore of the more expensive players!

mmm…ok, WD has maked a new player with a better hardware (i have read a review with this player disassembler and if it’s correct have a different and better processor respect “old” wd tv live series) but it’s limited by firmware for obtain a low cost product at this point.

So it’s just a business decision…

For returning on topic and continue to speak about ISO format:

Ok… the DVD Menù it’s not supported because mpeg2 file it’s not supported, how i can use the ISO format ? container for multiple mkv file ??

Otherwise the MPEG-TS according to manual it’s supported in mpeg1/2/4… it’s mpeg-ps it’s not supported :slight_smile:

DjDiabolik wrote:(i have read a review with this player disassembler and if it’s correct have a different and better processor respect “old” wd tv live series) but it’s limited by firmware for obtain a low cost product at this point.  So it’s justa business decision… 

Please cite your source for such a statement.

DjDiabolik wrote:how i can use the ISO format ?

Bluray ISOs are supported.  Without menu navigation, of course…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Please cite your source for such a statement.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

For now i have only find this whit hardware exposed:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/multimedia-voip/multimedia-voip-reviews/32040-wd-tv-play-reviewed?start=1

But I can not find that review where I was comparing hardware between this wd tv play and “old” wd tv live :slight_smile:

Bluray ISOs are supported.  Without menu navigation, of course…

Bluray ISO… ok… thanks for all info.

That review only makes a guess at the manufacturer of the main chip. As far as I can see nobody at the moment has ripped off the heatsink to find out what chip is actually in the Play. I believe it may be a Mediatek chip.