ISO format

That reviewer made NO comments about why MPG isn’t supported, and made no comments about the relative capability of the chipsets, so you drew your own conclusions.

It is, indeed, a Mediatek chip; a Taiwanese company that publishes very little technical detail (unlike Sigma) about their devices’ capabilities available to the general public.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

That reviewer made NO comments about why MPG isn’t supported, and made no comments about the relative capability of the chipsets, so you drew your own conclusions.

It is, indeed, a Mediatek chip; a Taiwanese company that publishes very little technical detail (unlike Sigma) about their devices’ capabilities available to the general public.

it’s true… that is not the exact review i speak about! !!

Before to buy i have founded and read so many review over internet about this WD TV Play… in one of these there was a comparative hardware between this WD Play and other Media Player disponible at this moment but now i can’t found anymore this review over internet… i have try to found with google and on my firefox hystory without success.

Only for personal purpose… speaking about mpeg2 support by other WD Product:

According Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_TV#WD_TV_Live_Streaming)) The WD TV Live Streaming it’s released in October 2011 right ?

This WD TV Play series it’s a 2012/2013 product… right ?

According Wikipedia the WD TV Live Streaming mount a “Sigma Designs SMP8670AD 700MHz processor with 512MB of DDR2 memory”… according the review already posted here this WD TV Play mount 512MB of DDR3…

The WD TV Live Streaming series have a fully supported mpeg2 and in the last firmware release it’s been added the support for DVD Menù in .ISO File (i have read this on famous italian forum about WD TV Live Series thread)… At this point we can say that:

• if the hardware of WD TV Play it’s the similar or better like WD TV Live series the support for mpeg2 it’s limited by firmware

• or the WD TV Play have a wrost hardware (for obtain a low cost product respect all other series) and mpeg2 it’s not supported by your chipset.

According to your manual the mpeg2 it’ s only supported by MPEG-TS file right ? maybe in future firmware support will be extended to MPEG-PS file…

Sorry for my english… I am Italian and sometimes I can not explain well what I’m trying to say… :slight_smile:

Mpeg2 is not supported by Play. It will not be supported in future.
Now go to wiki and read about the ways of multplexing mpeg2,
So that you can understand what ts means.

foetus wrote:
Mpeg2 is not supported by Play. It will not be supported in future.
Now go to wiki and read about the ways of multplexing mpeg2,
So that you can understand what ts means.

Are you sure? on what basis you say that will not be never extended support? you Work for WD perhaps ? you are a firmware maker ?

About mpeg-ts i have found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-TS… i have a sat receiver whit hdd mounted inside, all registration it’s on MPEG-TS format and i have already try it’s fully supported by my “WD TV Play”.

About mpeg-ps i have found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-PS… i alredy know the mpeg-ps it’s standard for DVD-Video disc.

After I read these 2 pages is it that I have to understand?

For more information i have read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2 … i continue to not understand because mpeg-ts it’s supported and mpeg-ps not.

According to manual:

I can read Mpeg1/2/4 it’s supported by MPEG-TS file… or the manual contain some error ?

@ DjDiabolik

Just want you to know the people responding to you here are not WD employees – we are users helping users.  That’s all.

Look, the facts are the facts:  the TV Play is a bottom-of-the-line product, so don’t expect top-of-the-line results from it!  If that is what you want, get a refund and buy a Live Streaming.  You appear to be the kind of person who would disagree with a stop sign.  It does no good to argue a point that is, well, pointless. The TV Play is designed to do certain things and not others. 

It looks like the manual is wrong. This table shows the truth of the matter.

www.wdc.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/

Note there is no tick against ‘Plays MPEG2 videos’ on the WD Play.

Plus in the online specification’s there is no mention of mpeg2

Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG4, VC-1), MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T/M2TS (MPEG4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, AVC), WMV9, FLV (AVC)

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=920 click the word specifications at the top.

mike27oct wrote:

@ DjDiabolik

Just want you to know the people responding to you here are not WD employees – we are users helping users.  That’s all.

Look, the facts are the facts:  the TV Play is a bottom-of-the-line product, so don’t expect top-of-the-line results from it!  If that is what you want, get a refund and buy a Live Streaming.  You appear to be the kind of person who would disagree with a stop sign.  It does no good to argue a point that is, well, pointless. The TV Play is designed to do certain things and not others. 

totally agree in all… infact all latest my speak about full support of mpeg2 it’s only my personal purpose and i have already says that.

The WD TV Play it’s bottom-of-the-line product and i know it… i have buy it’s at only 66€ :slight_smile:

It’s bottom-of-the-line product but it’s released on store two years ago respect the Live Streaming series and all my idea about have better hardware respect a Live Streaming player it’s plausible…i can’t confirm and there it’s no certain hardware review but i can suppose the player function it’s limited by firmware we agree or not ?

Anyway I am fully satisfied by this my WD Play… for “only” 66€ have x264 full support… full xvid/divx supports ecc. ecc.
Certain is that if I wanted to spend more i’m goes to buy a top-of-line product… not a two years ago release WD TV Live for example but i’m moved to MiniAndroid PC or a RaspberryPI or buying a HTPC…

All the things written here are not absolutely feature requests… but I’m just talking about what it does and what it could do this my media player… only for purpose… it’s clearly this ?

richUK wrote:
It looks like the manual is wrong. This table shows the truth of the matter.

www.wdc.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/

Note there is no tick against ‘Plays MPEG2 videos’ on the WD Play.

Plus in the online specification’s there is no mention of mpeg2

Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG4, VC-1), MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T/M2TS (MPEG4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, AVC), WMV9, FLV (AVC)

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=920 click the word specifications at the top.

OOOH… If the manual is wrong then I just do not understand… i download the FULL MANUAL from here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=383&type=25

Download and readed this PDF File:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ITA/4779-705073.pdf

Open this PDF And goes on page 150… you can read mpeg2 it’s supported!!

If WD make a wrong manual… it’s no my fail… it’s a WD FAIL :slight_smile:

Look at here… this is the ENGLISH full manual… the english version of upper pdf:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705073.pdf

Same page… download this page and goes to page 146 and 147 and it’s MPEG2 reported to supported…

I repeat… it’s not my fail but at this point it’s a WD FAIL.

*** Again about WRONG SUPPORT FILE REPORTED on manual ***

I have extracted the page 151 and page 152 from here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705073.pdf

Extract in JPG and upload the two page here:

All about speak it’s wrong reported supporting file on manual ??

*EDIT*

Correct order of page… :slight_smile:

This is now a determination of CONTAINER versus CODEC.

Yeah, MP2 is listed as compatible codec only within an MPEG TRANSPORT (Program Stream or Transport Stream) container.

So, if someone wants to try to rip a DVD and put its MPEG2 data out of the VOB into one of the listed containers and see if it works, well, then you’ll have your answer.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

This is now a determination of CONTAINER versus CODEC.

Yeah, MP2 is listed as compatible codec only within an MPEG TRANSPORT (Program Stream or Transport Stream) container.

So, if someone wants to try to rip a DVD and put its MPEG2 data out of the VOB into one of the listed containers and see if it works, well, then you’ll have your answer.

Now we understand each other :slight_smile:

I have try to create a .ISO file contain a DVD-Video folder… VIDEO_TS sample file:

General
Complete name : E:\DVDFab Rip\FullDisc\THE_AMAZING_SPIDER_MAN\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB
Format : MPEG-PS
File size : 1 024 MiB
Duration : 36mn 57s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 3 874 Kbps

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main

According to manual posted above the MPEG-PS it’s not supported right… now i try to explain myself (in my mind and for informational purposes only) because it’s not supported… if it’s a simply commercial choose by WD or if it’s an hardware limit by my WD TV Play or other valid cause.

It’s not a request feature…

I already says this… i have a SAT TOP-BOX  receiver whit HDD mounted inside, every registration it’s capture in a .TS container file using Mpeg2 file whit MPEG-TS transporter and this file it’s fully playable on my WD TV Play…

My first statement here it’s about .ISO support useless:

I simply say this because every rip of a DVD-Video (STARDARD DVD… not a Bluray or other source) in a .ISO image contain all Mpeg2 file using MPEG-PS and because they are not reproducible I thought it was useless to support ISO file.

I don’t know If exist a method to RIP a DVD (Whit menù) using a MPEG-TS… but i thinks no.

*EDIT*

After this i’m goin to sleep :slight_smile:

In Italy it’s 3:10AM :slight_smile:

DjDiabolik wrote:
The WD TV Live Streaming series have a fully supported mpeg2 and in the last firmware release it’s been added the support for DVD Menù in .ISO File (i have read this on famous italian forum about WD TV Live Series thread)…

DVD Menu support was added in the limited public beta 1.03.22 for the old LIVE (inlcuding ISO) and thus was available on the LIVE Streaming since day one, IIRC.

Techflaws wrote:

DjDiabolik wrote:
The WD TV Live Streaming series have a fully supported mpeg2 and in the last firmware release it’s been added the support for DVD Menù in .ISO File (i have read this on famous italian forum about WD TV Live Series thread)…

DVD Menu support was added in the limited public beta 1.03.22 for the old LIVE (inlcuding ISO) and thus was available on the LIVE Streaming since day one, IIRC.

ok… i already know the situation about “old” live series… on newest play the situation it’s not menu support but mpeg2 :slight_smile:

Which won’t happen ever. It’s time for you to accept that as a fact and move on.

I repeat the same question:

you are a WD employee if you are secure at 100% ?

You are a firmware depelover for WD ??

or you are just pulling at random?

*EDIT*

I want to thinks different… all it’s possible and nothing it’s impossible.

Only Western Digital and time can be answer this question… we can only stay to actual facts…

Good luck with that. Fact of the matter is that mpeg2 isn’t supported.

OK. At the moment the WD Play does not support mpeg2. A number of users do not believe that it will ever be supported. We have absolutely no idea why its not supported. It may be a hardware thing or it could be something to do with WD.
This is a user to user forum and WE DON’T KNOW!

I do. If it´s not on the list of specifications, it will not be added later. Maybe to new model of Play, but not to this one.

And how do I know this?

Because it newer happened before.

And I am WD Media player user from the day one.

I was hoping that this conversation would be over if we just said we did not know, it looks like we will now get another 4 pages!