Is it possible to install new firmware without Dashboard?

On the 15 of September My Cloud DL 4100 stopped working. The possessor, and the fan still runs, and the on, off button flashes blue light (blinking) and the Led panel (screen) is blue without any letters (txt) Tried to connect local IP from pc as usual to reach the dashboard without any luck. The network can’t find My Cloud, like there is no signal, or it is not sending out any.
I followed the procedure given by WD page -How to Reset a My Cloud DL4100 Device- with all four hard drives in, then after without hard drives, but no luck, it’s just like the firmware is gone or corrupted. I’ve tried to “Ping” sent 5 packages, got 0 back.
When there is probable no option to reboot WD system without dashboard working correct. My question Is now as follows: is there any way to install new firmware to the unit, it makes no sense to have to purchase new unit every 3 to 4 years. Hope that some WD technician can give my answers to resolve my problem. I’m stuck here.

1 Like

Did You get any help? I am stuck here with the same problem.

Same problem on a DL2100, WD Tech Support says this is “Extremely Rare” - yet this page is full of people having the same problem. There is clearly a problem with the DL series that they do not want to acknowledge.

There is not even access to the web interface…

Many thanks - it looks like you did a lot of work on this :slight_smile:

dswv42

January 4

robrichtx:
Same problem on a DL2100, WD Tech Support says this is “Extremely Rare” - yet this page is full of people having the same problem. There is clearly a problem with the DL series that they do not want to acknowledge.

Here is a link to rescue files and instructions for the PR4100 and PR2100, which may also work on the DL4100 and DL2100. Just be certain to select and upload the correct WD firmware for your device.

The CPU is fried due to a manufacturing defect (the motherboard was made with insufficient resistors). Mine had the same symptoms you mentioned and it could not be re-flashed. I opened it up and connected via the internal UART socket to see if the processor is sending messages & working, and it is not. The DL units use an Atom C2338 which is mentioned here:

It’s pretty clear WD has taken the attitude that it’s off warranty so too bad for you. Meanwhile there are thousands of DL units out in the world dying spontaneously each & every day.
I bought mine second-hand assuming it would work (being manufactured by WD), no it doesn’t. I’m not even blaming WD because it looks like a problem from Intel but they’ve both washed their hands of it. Take away lesson? Watch out for Intel & WD products, they don’t stand behind their equipment even if 100% of the product are going to fail in months.

1 Like