Insert a USB drive with firmware to recover your WDTV after update 01.02.17 firmware

Try this …

Disable the Media Library

Page 55: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/126115.pdf

Then go into settings and change the Content Source to Local Storage

Page 29: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/126115.pdf

Gidday from QLD,Australia :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers! I had found a note in the meantime about deleting the hidden wd_TV folder on the drive. I did it & voila - such a simple thing! But I will bookmark your note for possible use in the future.

I’m using the wdtv as a nas & it’s so brilliant at the job. The idiosyncrasies have been perplexing but nothing compared to a 4k TV i recently got that has almost no information to sort online & the panasonic helpline sounds more at a loss at sorting than I.

Anyhow, happy new year & kia ora from Aotearoa New Zealand.

Glad to hear it’s working :slight_smile:

Yeah, i think that’s why i ended up getting a Raspberry Pi as it does at lot of things better and faster than the WD TV’s which i used in past for years.

Off topic: I’ve had a Panasonic 50" 4K UHD TV for a few years … haven’t had any issues or problems with it, if there’s anything you’d like to know, i would be happy to answer

Those Raspberry Pi’s are amazing & the kind of thing I would have got my teeth into when I could do really techie stuff. One acting as a NAS/streamer & one as a DAC would be nice but I’ve got workarounds with what gear I have which seem to work (now that you’ve helped sort the WDTV issues).

Why are these new 4k TVs so complicated? Panasonic helpline’s reply to the TV’s inability to connect to my MESH wifi system was “Don’t use wifi if you have mesh. Use a cable”. Hardly the point of offering a product with wifi. They forgot to note - or didn’t know - that having an ethernet cable in the TV means it won’t connect to Wifi (even thought it shows it’s trying on the screen). Unplug the ethernet &…er no, won’t connect. I spoke to a tv salesman in JBHifi & asked if it was just me or if this particular model had issues - he reckoned it was all TVs now. Have you had issues like this with your tv?

I’m not really the biggest techie when it comes to networking … but, i just have a simple setup

At one end of the house is a TP-Link Router (Archer VR1600V)

and between the distance to my TV Room i have a D-Link Wireless Range Extender (DAP-3120) plugged into a power point on the wall

The 4K Panasonic UHD TV ( TC-49EX600) connects via WiFi to the D-LINK without any problems.

1 Like