I'm running out of space. Help!

Hi. I have the following tech 2 WD tv’s, each with different names. I also have a Firestick with Kodi installed and an IMac, all of which access networked a WDmycloud and a WD external hard drive. I have an extensive, over 900, legally obtained movie files and far far too many music files as well as back up files from my IMac and website back ups. The problem is I’m running out of space. The external drive is 1TB and the WD Mycloud is 2TB. Should I get another Mycloud and attach that to the network or should I get another external hard drive and attach that via the USB3 port on the existing MyCloud? Your thoughts on the best way please.

This is entirely up to you based on your personal needs.

On my case, when I’m running out of space and in need of a bigger drive I get two so I can make a backup of the larger drive.

So Trancer I bought a 3 tb mycloud and hooked it up to the network, having given it a new name, mycloud2, so that it didn’t clash with the original 2t,
drive called mycloud . Now I need to copy some of the files about 1.5tb of files from mycloud to mycloud2. Whats the kwikest way to do this. I use an old IMac as my desktop computer but it does have the latest Mac OS on it. I also have a dell notebook running wind 10 but it’s a bit old and slow. It currently takes a couple of hours to transfer 40-50gb of data. There must be a quicker way!

Using SSH you can issue “copy” or “rsync” terminal commands to copy data from one My Cloud to another is they are on the same local network. If you are trying to copy to a remote My Cloud things get more complicated. One needs to ensure SSH is enabled on both My Cloud Dashboard > Settings pages. One can use the forum search feature to learn more about how to copy from one My Cloud to another using SSH. Or one can perform on internet search to learn how to use SSH to copy from one NAS device (like the My Cloud) to another NAS device.

Above all however ensure both My Cloud devices are connected to the same Gigabit router or switch to ensure fastest SSH copying between the two devices.

Hi Bennor, you’ll have to excuse me but I have no idea how to do what your talking about as I’m the least technical person you’ll ever find. Drag and drop is the best I can do I’m afraid. If you could explain it in words of one syllable or so in ■■■■■ proof language, I’m the ■■■■■ by the way, would be most helpful
Thanks.
David Llewellyn.

The easiest way (but possibly much slower) is to make sure the computer and My Clouds are all connected using Gigabit networking (no WiFi) and connected to the same Gigabit router or switch, then use either Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer to drag the files from one My Cloud to another My Cloud. Mapping the My Cloud may make things a bit easier to copy. Start the copy and let it run overnight.

The faster way is to copy direct from one My Cloud to another using SSH. The problem is it takes some knowledge of how to setup SSH and issue SSH terminal commands. Unfortunately there is no easy way to explain it in simple terms. For example the following discussion talks about how to use SSH and Rsync to copy files from one My Cloud to another.

https://community.wd.com/t/success-3-rsync-backup-between-my-cloud-devices/93945?source_topic_id=192420&source_topic_id=199406

To be honest, the simplest way is just to use the file manager on one of your computers. Set the transfer running, and leave it alone to do its thing. It’s a one-off operation. By the time you have finished learning how to do something ‘clever’, the ‘dumb’ transfer could have finished.

Just make sure all your interconnect is gigabit ethernet.