Copy files to My Cloud EX2 from My Cloud

Hello,

I’ve got a 4TB My Cloud drive since last year, which I’ve been fairly satisfied with, but I always missed the function of remote backup, in case the house burnt down, the drive failed or got stolen.

That’s why, I purchased 1 My Cloud Mirror 8TB and a My Cloud EX2 6TB. My plan is have the following setup;

1. Copy all of data from the current My Cloud and some from my iMac to My Cloud EX2. I have almost 3TB of data. Give away the My Cloud to my parents as a gift.

2. Use the EX2 as a home network NAS.

3. Setup a remote backup from EX2 to My Cloud Mirror, which will be placed at my friends place.

4. Live a happy life :slight_smile:

But I have the following questions:

a) Is there a better way to transfer all my data from My Cloud and my iMac to the EX2? I tried the regular copy paste and after 2 times 18 hours… It failed!

b) From my experience at point a), if a local backup is not really working the way it should, I presume the first remote backup from EX2 to the My Cloud Mirror at my friend’s place will be a disaster. So… Is it possible to make the first ‘remote backup’ at my home network, and then place the My Cloud Mirror at my friend’s place?

c) Why can’t I find Plex server app under apps in EX2 or My Cloud Mirror?

I hope someone can help, otherwise, I will return the whole thing. WD pre-sales promised me that all of the above mentioned functions are ‘piece of cake’ once I get them delivered. Apparently, it was a pre-sale trick.

Please help me out guys!

Hello mate,

Welcome to the WD Community.

a) Is there a better way to transfer all my data from My Cloud and my iMac to the EX2? I tried the regular copy paste and after 2 times 18 hours… It failed!

Don’t do it all the data at the same time. Try doing it on segments. Also try setting the drive with static Ip’s that will give you a more steady connection.

b) From my experience at point a), if a local backup is not really working the way it should, I presume the first remote backup from EX2 to the My Cloud Mirror at my friend’s place will be a disaster. So… Is it possible to make the first ‘remote backup’ at my home network, and then place the My Cloud Mirror at my friend’s place?

To make sure I get this right, you are asking is you can perform a remote backup within the same network. If that’s your question, Yes, you should be able to that.

c) Why can’t I find Plex server app under apps in EX2 or My Cloud Mirror?

See page 97 of the user manual about managing apps.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705129.pdf

Hello man,

Thanks a lot for your advice regarding questions a) and c)! I’ll be trying to do what you suggested step by step.

In regards to your answer:

To make sure I get this right, you are asking is you can perform a remote backup within the same network. If that’s your question, Yes, you should be able to that.

Yes, I want the first remote backup to be done through local network and the remote backups after that through external (off-site) network. Will it work?

While you get back, I’ll be trying to transfer data in segments with a static IP-address.

Thank’s again.

Cheers