I could see my 100% movies, now only 20%

Hi guys,

Bought WD TV live hub. All was working like a charm, did the firmware upgrade. Could see all of my movies (have 250). I had to unplug my USB (did by eject). When I replugged. I could only see my movies up to the letter C. the rest don’t work (says: unable to read files). Funny thing is: I could see all of them yesterday.

I have a 3 TB wd hard drive btw.

Thx for your help, this is frustrating

I would start by turning off the Media Library, then turning it back on. Let it inventory everything.

Best of luck.

Agreeing with 98_1le. I’m beginning to suspect a bug in the WDTVhub media library compiler that blows up after receiving and compiling large numbers of files. If so, a complete recompile of the media library will straighten it up. In the same place in setup where you can turn off & turn on the media library there is an option to clear the media library. The manual says this will clear and rebuild the media library. I have not yet done this on mine. If you choose to do so, you will likely lose any any retrieved media info (metadata) you have manually retrieved.

i’ve had the exacty problem a few times.  turn it on, wait for it to compile internal library and it only shows 1/4 of my movies.  they are all there when viewing the hub on the pc, but not on the hub to watch.  did a power off, still nothing, did a master reset, then they are there.

had to redo all the meta data, which **bleep**, but then i get my movies back.

it’s happened a few times to me, but always come back after a HARD RESET

Well, clearing the media library and putting it back on did not work.

I’ll try a hard reset.

I’ve read somewhere that the hub has problems with 3 tb USB external drives, any possibilitiy?

weired.  mine has been fine for so long now, but today, i can only see 11 of my kids movies (from Toy Story to the end of the library).  anything that starts alphabetically before that is not visible on the HUB, but is on my PC.

i’ve tried the Media Library On/Off, also powered the HUB off, still doesn’t show up.

i’m going to wait it out, i really don’t want to do a master hard reset and loose all my meta data AGAIN :angry:

hope my father in law doesn’t have any problems.  he ordered one boxing day from BB

so get this.  i try it this morning, it is still only showing 20% of my movies, from TOY STORY on.  i go to the hub, MOVE a folder inside the KIDS directory (the only folder i have in there, PIXAR SHORT FILMS) to a different folder on the hub, and go back to the KIDS directory, and all the movies magically appear.

i have since moved the PIXAR folder back to KIDS and everything is fine again as far as the movies being there, but the META DATA for the missing movies is gone.  no descriptions, no time, no thumbnails.  but the META DATA still exists on the hub directory.

odd, very odd.

i’m surprised there aren’t more people having this problem.  i’ve had it a few times now.  perhaps i’ve isolated it to that folder, but the only reason i moved that one, is because it’s the fist one inside the KIDS folder as it’s in a folder itself

Other folks ARE seeing problems like that. Here’s a thread from a while back where I had similar problems,

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub/Media-library-lost-track-of-all-movies-twice/m-p/100056

I suspect the media compiler has a few bugs. I get the feeling it happens after many additions and deletions from media lists. The last time it happened to me I ‘fixed’ it by doing the Clear media catalog thing and let it rebuild the media catalog from scratch.

Yes, renaming or moving a folder will cause the metadata links to that stuff to be broken and you won’t seem them any more. The clear/rebuild is a better option if it works.

1 Like

thanks for the link.  glad (well not really :dizzy_face:) that it’s not an isolated problem with my hub.

here’s hoping one of the upcoming firmware updates fixes this problem.  not good, not good at all

Here’s a hunch I have.

When a file is copied  to the hub (or deleted, or moved)  from a networked pc, the hub notices a  file change and runs a media catalog update compile. When MANY files are being copied, the hub runs the compile many times, doing it at the same time when some files are only partially copied, or some folders have a partial list of files, and such as that. This is a scenario ripe for errors.

I suspect there would be fewer errors if a fellow turned off the media catalog, copied the big initial load of files, then turned the media catalog back on. It would compile just once and be done. But that would just be a work-around, and you can’t expect the typical user to even think about those things. The bug(s) need to be found and fixed.

Copy-paste from WD Knowledge Base:

“At the current time a single external drive greater than 2 TB will not work with the WD TV Live Hub HD Media Player, the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, or the WD TV Live Hub Media Center.  Do not attempt to use these drives with your WD TV Live product because it may damage your drive’s partition and cause loss of data.  WD is currently working on a solution and will provide an update accordingly.”

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5875

Kerba wrote:

Copy-paste from WD Knowledge Base:

“At the current time a single external drive greater than 2 TB will not work with the WD TV Live Hub HD Media Player, the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, or the WD TV Live Hub Media Center.  Do not attempt to use these drives with your WD TV Live product because it may damage your drive’s partition and cause loss of data.  WD is currently working on a solution and will provide an update accordingly.”

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5875> * * *

i am only running the HUB, no external drives attached

With reference to the ABOVE WARNING:

Hook up the device to your computer and see if the files are there. If some are missing your file directory may be damaged. If so, you should copy whatever you can get.

I used the program “EASEUS file recovery wizard” (or similar name) to recover ALL my videos from a damaged 2TB drive (needs to be returned). Unfortunately it’s expensive so maybe you can find a cheaper or free version that works if you require it.

I’m using the WD 2TB Elements USB drive now (got it on sale for $90 CDN.)

the HUB files are always visible on my PC, i have never had any files go MISSING, just lost visibly and accessibly on the hub.  a master reset always fixes it, but it’s annoying.

my hub is connected to my PC with a CAT5 cable, but i use the HUB 90% of the time by accessing the files with INTERNAL STORAGE.  when they go missing like this and the kids want to watch something immediately, then i use the NETWORK SHARES 

so now i have to do the GET INFO when i do firmware updates and periodially when they go astray on the HUB.

I join the club

I have over 70 files on the internal drive, but at the menu it says that only 30 new items is listed… I just dunno

boucher wrote:

I join the club

I have over 70 files on the internal drive, but at the menu it says that only 30 new items is listed… I just dunno

Don’t pay any attention to the number of “New Items” as indicated on the home screen.   

I don’t think anyone actually knows what that counter means.  ;)   I’ve had “1” new item on that screen for about the past month now; and I’ve added no new content.