Media Library Problems

Hi

A lot of people have helped me with this through numerous different threads but I am becoming a little confused with some of the advice given.

Basically my system is:-

WDTV Live Hub → USB hard drive attached with 16tb storage capability

Date

Around 300 movies

Around 12000 music files

Around 5000 photos

total data around 3tb

I used to have this data on internal drive on drobo and a different usb drive (2tb)

I have upgraded to larger drive to allow full back up of all my data.

Everything was working perfectly with older usb drive combination. The data has not changed at all. The two drives that were part of old usb drive have been fitted to new usb drive.

I have updated to the latest firmware at the same time as adding new storage device.

The issues have is that the drive will work seamlessly with out Media Library turned on but as soon as I turn it on it says it is compiling the Media Library the white light on the front flashes and the hub gradually slows down and control via remote control takes a while to respond. 

I have left it compiling severeal times for a few days each time I have had the same problems it never seems to complete. I have been advised to clear media library, power hub down and back on, also factory reset hub, remove all .jpg files for cover art and xml file that are already on the - all of whjich I have done.

I was also advised to delete the .wdtv file - i assume this would have been from the USB drive but I have since noticed there is an identical folder on the hub should I delete this?

does anyone have any advice? Running out of ideas!! As i said works perfectly without the media library but half the point of the hub is to have the cover art etc. Its becoming really frustrating!!!

May have to use xbox if this doesnt work :frowning:

I look forward to your tips!

THanks in advance!!

Same problems here not using the Hub, but the TV Live (latest firmware) with an external USB drive. The Library is a large harddisk with a mix of 600+ Movies (handbrake mkv DVD rips), pictures, music and video Files. The existent Library is partially prepred with Media Companion and runs fine with XMBC Same symptons as described before ("compiling the media library), white light blinks and WD slows down. Switching auto scanning libray off makes the WD react normal again.

great its not just me then!!!

mattpeds wrote:

Hi

A lot of people have helped me with this through numerous different threads but I am becoming a little confused with some of the advice given.

Basically my system is:-

WDTV Live Hub → USB hard drive attached with 16tb storage capability

Date

Around 300 movies

Around 12000 music files

Around 5000 photos

total data around 3tb

I used to have this data on internal drive on drobo and a different usb drive (2tb)

I have upgraded to larger drive to allow full back up of all my data.

Everything was working perfectly with older usb drive combination. The data has not changed at all. The two drives that were part of old usb drive have been fitted to new usb drive.

I have updated to the latest firmware at the same time as adding new storage device.

The issues have is that the drive will work seamlessly with out Media Library turned on but as soon as I turn it on it says it is compiling the Media Library the white light on the front flashes and the hub gradually slows down and control via remote control takes a while to respond. 

I have left it compiling severeal times for a few days each time I have had the same problems it never seems to complete. I have been advised to clear media library, power hub down and back on, also factory reset hub, remove all .jpg files for cover art and xml file that are already on the - all of whjich I have done.

I was also advised to delete the .wdtv file - i assume this would have been from the USB drive but I have since noticed there is an identical folder on the hub should I delete this?

does anyone have any advice? Running out of ideas!! As i said works perfectly without the media library but half the point of the hub is to have the cover art etc. Its becoming really frustrating!!!

May have to use xbox if this doesnt work :frowning:

I look forward to your tips!

THanks in advance!!

Instead of trying to add the whole 3 Tb at once to the Library, just pick a small folder. If the Library doesn’t compile quickly even with the small folder, there may be a compatibility problem with your new disk. You can try connecting the 16 Tb disk to a PC, sharing it over the network and see if the Library compiles that way.

If the small folder compiles okay try to add more folders to the Library, the compile may be getting “stuck” if it has problems reading a file.

Mmm seems a common denominator having mixed drives. I have music and videos on my drives, but hardly use the music side. And in fact when checking there it says 0 items.

Not much help to you guys though.

You could maybe do some trials, let’s say you have 3 folders called Movies / Music / Pictures.
If you place a . ( full stop) in front of the folder name the Hub will not scan them.

So change music to .music and pictures to .pictures and let it just scan the movies. Do a little trial and error and you may find what is causing the problems. You may even be able to do it in stages and it may work, you never know.

thanks guys will try these tips…

do you think rolling back formware would solve?

I got one for Christmas and am massively disappointed with the slow browsing of files, particularly with music where there are typically more files and you change the current selection more often.

Moving everything from the USB connected 1TB hard disk to the hub’s local disk helped a bit (it was always the plan anyway) but its still too slow browing music - few second pause every three pages of artis, then a second or two when drilling down each album folder. It’s really not good enough in my opinion.

I just tried switching of the Media Library and it made a huge difference. But I’m pretty meticulous with my ID3 tags and want the info displayed. And the content info is almost essdential for browsing movies.

I guess the library would have been compiling for the first time when I was moving all my files, I can forgive it for getting confused with that.

Just cleared the Media Library and its currently rebuilding - hopefully this will help otherwise it’ll need replaced with something else. I got this to remove the clapped out PC from under my TV. Its close to getting its job back!

1 Like

mattpeds wrote:

thanks guys will try these tips…

do you think rolling back formware would solve?

Just to clarify things, you had a 2Tb USB disk connected to the Hub with the same files and the Media Library worked okay? Now you have a Drobo with 16 Tb connected by USB to the Hub and the Library won’t compile? Are you using the same Hub firmware with the Drobo as you used with the 2 Tb disk?

Personally, connecting a 16 Tb disk by USB to the Hub seems a bit optimistic to me. I don’t know much about the Drobo. Is the Drobo configured as one big 16 Tb volume or as multiple smaller volumes? Do you have to install drivers or software to get the Drobo working on a PC? Assuming the Drobo doesn’t have a network connection, I would try connecting it to a PC and then share the Drobo over the network.

I now have the latest firmware they updated it as I tfansfered all files onto drobo. Which I why I am thinking about rolling back firmware.

Also the drobo is formatted at one drive. You dont need drivers for pc but there is a monitoring piece if software that comes with it.

I have a few other options to try si will keep you upto date…

Good news!

Deleted the .wdtv folder off USB hard drive and off hub then left it to do it thing and hey presto cover art etc is now avaliable!

Thanks for everyone’s help. Hope I’m not celebrating too early!!!