1 week ago, i upgraded MyCloud Gen2 to OS5. I have 3 of it actually. 1st one upgraded without issue. Indexing also completed by end of the day.
So i go ahead with the 2nd one and that is when i regretted doing it. Indexing never finish and the box seem hang. Only ping responded. To access the dashboard, i have to force power off/on but it hang again shortly. The only way to get it to work is to disable the cloud access. That’s stupid!!! IT IS NOT UPGRADE!
Hence i started to explore downgrading OS5 back to OS3 and has managed to do it successfully using steps to recover/unbrick the box. Hurray!!!
I would like to contribute and share my findings to payback to the community for the solutions i obtain for others who share unselfishly too.
Disclaimer : Do it at your own risk! Make sure you know what you are doing and i shall not be responsible if you brick your box.
Share drives will still be there after the downgrade. You will need to redo the initial setup including adding users and setting the rights again.
Things you will need:
- Working MyCloud OS5 with cloud access disabled if it is hanging your connection.
- Enabled SSH and able to ssh into your box.
- Able to copy files into the box or your share drive.
- Enable DHCP (default usually unless you set to static IP)
- Download these files:
→ OS3 firmware (xxx.bin)
WD My Cloud v3.x, v4.x and v2.x Firmware Versions Download Links
→ usbrecovery.tar.gz (unzip into your computer)
Once you have all the above,
- ssh into your box
- copy the 2 files (uImage-wdrecovery & uRamdisk-wdrecovery) to your MyCloud directory “/boot/boot/” where you will also find ulmage and uRamdisk in it.
- Change directory to “/boot/boot/” and perform following commands to overwrite the existing ulmage and uRamdisk.
mv uImage-wdrecovery uImage
mv uRamdisk-wdrecovery uRamdisk
- Reboot after that.
- After reboot device, use the old IP address and accessable via Web-GUI (Safe mode). Upload the original os3 firmware (.bin file) you download earlier here.
It will reboot after upload successfully.
- Reload the Web-Gui to get to the known WD dashboard and start the initial setup process ‘first steps’ (accept license, set password for admin and so on)
That’s it. You are back in business !!!
I believe the above steps will be similar for other models of My Cloud. So bros/sis who own other model can try the steps and update if it is relavant to their models.