How to recover accidently deletes files / directory

HI, maybe an easy question, but I didn’t fond a solutionsofar: I accidently deleted a directory from my my cloud duo and would like torestore it now. How can this be done?

1 Like

You should know that My Cloud Home does not have a built-in recycle bin feature. This means that once a directory is deleted, it’s gone for good.
However, you can check if you have any backups, or you can try using third-party data recovery software like Stellar or Wondershare to scan the drive for traces of your deleted directory.

Data recovery is usually hard and failure rate is high, recovery from network drive is usually impossible despite what ‘free trial’ software claimed it can do. Recovery in a case you described involves removing the hard disks and mount them in a Linux box and run mostly free Linux recovery software described many times in these subforums.

A little reading and planning ahead, on the other hand is mostly free and easy.

You never had to deal with situation such as this even without a built in recycling bin on the network drive. Just use what media and cloud import services that come for free with the My Cloud Home (Duo) in the ‘Do More’ setting and use that as your recycling bin(s).

Restoring a deleted directory from a My Cloud device depends on a few factors, including whether you have enabled and configured backups or versioning on your device. Here are some steps you can try:

1. Check the Recycle Bin or Trash: Some My Cloud devices have a Recycle Bin feature where deleted files or folders are temporarily stored. Log in to your My Cloud account via the web interface or the desktop app and look for a “Recycle Bin” or “Trash” section to recover deleted items from there.

2. Backup and Restore: If you have previously set up backups on your My Cloud device, you might be able to restore the deleted directory from your backups. Access the backup settings on your My Cloud dashboard and look for options to restore files or folders from a previous backup.

3. Versioning: Certain My Cloud devices offer versioning features that keep multiple versions of files or folders. Check if your device has this feature enabled and if it stores previous versions of files or directories. If so, you might be able to retrieve the deleted directory from an earlier version.

4. Contact Support: If the above methods don’t work or if you’re unsure about the process, it’s advisable to contact My Cloud support or refer to the user manual for specific instructions on recovering deleted directories.

Remember, the success of restoring a deleted directory depends on your device’s settings and whether it has backups or versioning enabled. It’s essential to act quickly and check available options, as some systems might permanently delete items after a certain period.

I was able to recover deleted files with R-Studio. I took me several days.
I read that Linux File Systems for Windows by Paragon Software should also work but it never worked for me.