How To Change Hard Drive Names?

Hi all,

I have two WD Elements hard drives attached via usb to my WD Live Streamer. How can I change the names of these two drives so that the new names appear both on my WD Live and my laptop (attached to WD Live via wireless network)  ?

I was able to change the name of the WD Elements drive on my laptop using ‘win7 rename’ , however when I turned on my WD Live Steamer it still showed up as the old name.

So now I have my drive showing up as one name on my laptop, and another on my WD Live. Which of course I can change back if need be.

How is this done correctly ?

Thanks …   

Hi there, you can try to go to the dashboard of me media player by typing the IP address of the media player and the password you will use is admin, from there go to system and there you will see a tab called device name there you can change the name of the unit on the network.

Hope this helps you out.

1 Like

Hi ArMak,

Thank you for your reply. Could you please elaborate further as I am not all that computer savy.

Thank you again… 

ArMak wrote:

Hi there, you can try to go to the dashboard of me media player by typing the IP address of the media player and the password you will use is admin, from there go to system and there you will see a tab called device name there you can change the name of the unit on the network.

Hope this helps you out.

Hi, I hope this link helps you with accesing the Web UI:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705123.pdf#page=45

ArMak, thank you I was able to access the dashboard however you are not able to change the names of hard drives connected to the WD Live on the Device Tab.  You can only change the ‘name’ of the WD Live itself.   (Device Name: WDTVLive)  That is the only option.

I have two WD Elements Hard Drives attached via usb to my WD Live and would like to change THEIR names .

ArMak wrote:

Hope this helps you out.

The simple solution would be to plug each drive into your laptop, right click on the drive (using File Explorer) and then “Rename”?

Control Panel/Computer Management would also work, of course.

The WDTV picks up the attached drive name each time it is logged.

Thank you for your reply Phil.  The drives are connected via wireless network to my laptop. I changed the name through the wireless. However, even though on my laptop did show the new names, my WD Live still showed the old names.

Is there a difference between changing drive names via wireless network and changing them when directly connected  ???  

Thanks… 

Phil181 wrote:

The simple solution would be to plug each drive into your laptop, right click on the drive (using File Explorer) and then “Rename”?

Control Panel/Computer Management would also work, of course.

The WDTV picks up the attached drive name each time it is logged.

DarkMyst wrote:

Is there a difference between changing drive names via wireless network and changing them when directly connected  ???  

Thanks… 

It sounds like the network has not updated the new drive names for some reason.  Yes, plugging in directly will show the new drive names straight away (same as plugging in any different hard drive).  

Have you re-logged your network after the name changes?  Perhaps a full reset of the WDTV will help?

Thank you Phil, I’ll give it a try when I get home.

Phil181 wrote:

DarkMyst wrote:

Thanks… 

It sounds like the network has not updated the new drive names for some reason.  Yes, plugging in directly will show the new drive names straight away (same as plugging in any different hard drive).  

Have you re-logged your network after the name changes?  Perhaps a full reset of the WDTV will help?