How long should firmware update take?

Hi. A little background. My HD conked out last week. I purchased 2 new 1TB drives (one to replace and one to backup). But the WD started up really wonky and kept going on and off and I figured it was the device as well as the HD. But in looking here at the forum I realized it was the network connection as when I disconnected the ethernet cable it started up fine (and faster than before, BTW). I formatted the drive and it took a little further digging that I had to downgrade the firmware, reset, then upgrade again. So I’m in the downgrade process and the box has been blinking and the TV just showing the WD logo for about 45 minutes so far. How long should I give it before I pull the plug? And if it is successful should I do a complete reset (incl network settings)? And then restart with the cable plugged in and upgrade through the network or download the latest firmware to a thumb drive again? TIA, Gary

Update: After an hour and a half I pulled the plug and plugged it back in. All I saw was the logo as if it were starting and it just hung there. I turned it off and on, same thing. I tried to reset it from the pinhole on the bottom and it did nothing. Help!

Firmware Rollback should only take about 5 min … 10 min at the absolute most.

And i always use a thumb drive with a LED activity light to make sure that something is actually happening.

Because if the thumb drive LED doesn’t blink, then something is not working.

Question: which downgrade firmware did you use on the thumb drive ?

Actually this is now resolved, thanks. After about 2 hours I pulled the plug and let it sit off for a few hours. When I plugged it back in it was doing the same ■■■■ thing and I had thought I fried the firmware. But I yanked the USB out and then it was fine. It had not up (down) dated. So I did it again and it downdated the firmware in about 5 minutes like you said. But I had inadvertently downloaded a GPL package, not realizing what that was. I got all kind of warning notices, including that I would not be able to revert to the official firmware, which is wrong - you can. I ultimately used 2.02.16, reset, updated to 3.12.13 and everything was fine. For now.

I could have told you if you asked :wink:

The worst thing about installing GPL Firmware is it wipes Encryption Keys needed for online services. eg. Netflix

Even if you manage to re-install normal firmware, the Keys are wiped/gone and you’ll no longer be able to use Netflix again on the Live Hub.

Oh, too bad. But I basically never use any of the services anymore because I have them in my TV, and also Apple TV. I just use the WD as a networked media server, so it’s all good.